SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there,

i was wondering if anyone knows what a good degree is to advance the timing in a stock '89 900S n/a(what is it currently set to stock?)...i still want the car to be reliable tho! and what does each line mean? like how many degrees is each line or tick worth? And where do i find the adjustment settings to do this? And just wondering and i know its probably not likely, but did these cars have knock sensors by any chance?

thanks

ps
i had this post in the mods and perf. section but i didnt get any replies!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'll leave this in here because it is more Workshop than Performance, but please don't cross-post threads. The other thread will be deleted shortly.

There's some information here about timing on an N/A, and some more threads can be found if you do a search. When searching, try keywords like 'non-turbo timing' rather than 'N/A timing', as the search facility has trouble recognising two letter words. The links in the thread go to a site called www.townsendimports.com - you will find a wealth of information. I don't know about N/A cars, but someone on here will post a reply sooner or later.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops

sorry about that, i tried to go and delete it but i wasnt sure how to go about deleting the other post...but thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Don't worry about it, it'll disappear eventually when that lot over there wake up a bit ;) . You can delete posts by using the Edit button in the post you have created which gives you a delete function and an optional reason for deletion box.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
only the turbo cars have a knock sensor. very nice system to have so we don't blow up our engines:cheesy: while running 87 octane, not that i do tho:eek: Saab was the envy still is i would imagine of auto makers becuase of the APC system (knock sensing system) the Automatic Performance Control system opens the wastegate on the turbo in like a 10th of a second or something the instant the engine knocks. and in the uk tho, the LPT i don't think has an APC as stock it doesn't boost much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your N/A has an EZK ignition system. With a knock sensor!
So I guess there is no way to alter the timing. Unless you happen to be familiar with this specific electronics :) Turning the distributer will give no change of timing as on a turbo. Turbos uses the knock sensor for boost control only, as woywitka wrote.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok now im confused..

i know the apc systems are for detecting knock, and since my car is an N/A, i obviously dont have an APC system. SO now question is, does my car actually have a knock sensor still? i really want to advance timing...cheapest mod i can do right now to an N/A....im still waiting for a donor car to do a turbo swap with.

·
4,637 Posts
Look at your distributor. If there is no wiring {other than the HT leads} or vacuum capsule on the distributor, you have EZK ignition with a knock sensor. The knock sensor is to be found bolted to the block if you look down through the inlet manifold between cylinders 2 and 3. The EZK ignition system is fully adaptive and will give you the best timing possible at all times on a per cylinder basis.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Sadly.. even IF you had the capability to advance yr timing.. (Evidenced by a Vac cartridge on yr Distr.) Doiung so does Little to nothing except cause Pinging on mild acceleration.. NA Saabs seem to be optimally timed from the get go.
What you got is what you get.. like it or not :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
poop

icic...well i still havent checked if i do have the knock sensor...so i guess if i dont then, its not worth adjusting anyways? now if i dont have the sensor, its probably a waste of money to be running 94 gas instead of regular, thats waaay cheaper right now!! i hear different stories where running higher octane on a stock adjusted car wont do anything, but if u have a knock sensor, it will detect the change in octane and adjust to it for max. perf. soo, im gona stick with the regular gas i guess, till i actually truely know if i have a sensor or not! so rainny...and so lazy...!

thanks again

·
Registered
49 Posts
on my saab (82' 900 turbo) there is a sticker on the engine bay that states the timing position (20 degrees before top dead center). You can usually advance the timing a few degrees higher to get some more performance out of it, but i would be very careful or just leave it stock as long as the car seems to run fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
researching

i found on the twin saab web site, that there is a way to do it, but its complicated and cost more money because you need certain things to do so...so i think ive desided for the time being to just stop messing with it, and let it be!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts