SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy

I am due for a smog check and i have a bit of advanced timing. At 3K rpms when engine breaking, i get backfiring. So i have decided to try and adjust my timing.

I was wondering if anyone has done this. i could not find the timing marks on my car. Wondering where those are(pics?)i can get a timing light at autozone. The next thing would be to loosen the distributor and turn it one way or the other to match the light. However, i do not know which nut to turn . once again, pictures would be a major plus.

Never done this before, but i understand the basics. just wanted some extra help so my saab doesnt have to go into the shop for an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!
-c

·
Registered
824 Posts
if you look in the inspection hole on the gearbox bell housing, you can see the flywheel. when the engine is at TDC on cylinder 1, there will be a '0' with a '-' that lines up with a notch on the inspection hole. you will then need to use white chalk or white paint to put a dot on the correct timing indicator (stock is 15° BTDC).
to adjust the timing, you will undo the single bolt just enough to be able to rotate the distributor, disconnect and plug the vacuum advance capsule hose, and start the car with the timing light on cylinder 1 ignition lead.
point the light at the inspection hole, and rotate the dizzy small amounts at a time until your desired timing lines up with the notch with each flash of the light.

I used to run 98 RON with advance of 17° BTDC, 95 RON at 15° BTDC and 12° BTDC with 91 RON, so had multiple marks high lighted on my flywheel.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
My SAABs seemed to have a notch struck in the edge of the metal distributor body where it was clamped down. The correct timing was at that notch, handy.

Once you have correctly timed your engine it would be worth marking the correct point with such a notch. The notch should cross the line between the body of the distributor and the camcover, ie the part of the distributor that is moveable and the part of the distributor that does not move at the clamping point.

My shop manual says stock timing is 16 degrees BTDC at 850 rpm for manual cars and 14 degrees BTDC for automatics. This is with the vacuum/boost hose disconnected.

I have run more advance than stock on my 86 but although this only gives slightly better off boost torque but does not improve the on boost performance.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
There are plenty of variations worldwide.
The Emissions Sticker is always the Last Word, superseding all Manuals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts