SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not complaining about having ads whilst not logged in... I've run much larger forums in the past and understand entirely why they need to be there.

That said, nothing frustrates me more than ads taking control of browsing experiencing by forcing new windows to open when I try to leave SC.

There's a Mazda 2 advert which appears as a slide-under when opening SC, and forces a new Google search window with "mazda 2" as the search criteria when I leave.

That's not on.

The quantity and type of adverts is also excessive. Adding fake forum entries asynchronously is hugely frustrating! I've lost count how many times I've opened the wrong thread because you're forcing "ford mustang" ads above the one I'm hovering over.

Any chance of changing it?

Ta

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about those ad's that are disguised as a new thread. They always conveniently pop up on the top of the list of threads right as you click the thread that was on the top of the list. No, I didn't want to click on the thing about some Mustang, I wanted that thread that was supposed to be where I clicked!

·
Administrator
1,087 Posts
First off, I'm not complaining about having ads whilst not logged in... I've run much larger forums in the past and understand entirely why they need to be there.

That said, nothing frustrates me more than ads taking control of browsing experiencing by forcing new windows to open when I try to leave SC.

There's a Mazda 2 advert which appears as a slide-under when opening SC, and forces a new Google search window with "mazda 2" as the search criteria when I leave.

That's not on.

The quantity and type of adverts is also excessive. Adding fake forum entries asynchronously is hugely frustrating! I've lost count how many times I've opened the wrong thread because you're forcing "ford mustang" ads above the one I'm hovering over.

Any chance of changing it?

Ta
can you take a screen shot?

I can not see those ads. I can see about taking them out if i can find them

·
Administrator
1,087 Posts
1. you are not logged int so members don't see that
2. you somewhat have control over what ads appear.
most ad companies, google included, pulls ads baised off of you cookies, browser history and word content on the forum or site you are viewing.
example: I was on the Steve Madden web site at lunch yesterday, no all my ads are for Steve madden and shoes.
* since saab and saab vendors don't have ads with google or other ad companies you don't get many ads from them.
So it is not us ( as in VS) choosing the ads.

Here ya go.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm familiar with the concept of PPC marketing... it's my trade. I've been a Google TC for 6 years; but these are not Google ads.

I appreciate you don't choose the exact ads, but you do choose the type of ads by opting to use ad vendors which advocate this type of delivery.

The key to good advertising is giving the user relevant content in a way which attracts attention but doesn't detract from the purpose of the site. A Mazda adverts which forces a new window offers neither of those... they're just likely to put visitors off.

Normally, I wouldn't be in a position to argue about browsing history, cookies or content. However, I'm on a brand new Google Chromebook sporting a fresh profile used to test this (brilliant) machine. At no point during testing has anyone searched or visited any site related to Mazda; and I doubt the Googler responsible for setting this up did either.

"since saab and saab vendors don't have ads with google or other ad companies you don't get many ads from them"

... so why jam up the site with irrelevant ads?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Strange
Its absolutely true that most ads are annoying, even obnoxious.
But here at SaabCentral, I am nearly 100% logged in all the time...never anything annoying.
Wish I could say the same with some other sites.. Some stretch a man's tolerance to the max !
Generally, sites can be improved in this respect...this will happen when people learn to care more.
So, why not just log in and stay that way ????

·
Administrator
1,087 Posts
If you log into the site, you won't have the ads. If you are logged in and see them, please let me know and i will Take care of the obnoxious ones. :)

Thanks for your input everyone, hopefully we can come to a better median.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Strange
Its absolutely true that most ads are annoying, even obnoxious.
But here at SaabCentral, I am nearly 100% logged in all the time...never anything annoying.
Wish I could say the same with some other sites.. Some stretch a man's tolerance to the max !
Generally, sites can be improved in this respect...this will happen when people learn to care more.
So, why not just log in and stay that way ????
Not all of us have a truly personal computer. On a family computer, I prefer not to leave it logged on.

And that isn't the only thing. What new visitor wants to dig through ads to try to find the content they want.

The ads are annoying, but I'll admit that I can deal with it and log in. But what I don't like is link redirecting. I see a post for "this is a great site for..." and then find it some ramshack site that has some sort of advertising deal.

Like this link should go to TireRack, but I doubt it will...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=05WR6ECDW&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Saab&autoYear=1995&autoModel=900 Turbo&autoModClar=

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I've been "logged on " for years(it seems), no problems that I know of..
Are there problems that I do not know about...
As far as "harvesting" data goes...they can knock themselves out...:cheesy:
But, today is the PITA log in day for my many sites (lawn mower,debate politics, SaabCentral, others ??)..
I'd love to see the day when "Madison Avenue" becomes civilized - when they stop hurling annoying, obnoxious commercials at us..
TV and radio are especially bad.
I only listen to NPR.
And TCM is great.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
And that isn't the only thing. What new visitor wants to dig through ads to try to find the content they want.
I have to say that I'm always logged in so don't see the ads, BUT it does appear that this site is becoming very much orientated to the existing members only.

Who is going to want to join a site where they're bombarded with intrusive adverts as a guest, by the time they realise that they won't see the adverts as a member, the damage is done and they'll be looking for an easier to use site, rather than joining us.

My turn. I've noticed more and more irritating "viglinks" which detract from users' genuine and useful links. Yet I've opted out on their site

http://www.viglink.com/support/optout

but still get them?
I too find these very annoying, especially when they pop up in new members posts, I keep thinking that member is really a spammer, and it's not until I check the link that I realise it's viglink, not the member, who is spamming the post

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's quite clear from the admin's response that we're stuck with them.

This is why an owner's club site should be run by owners, not by a faceless company just out to make money.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts