SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day again.
When moving off in 1st Gear, I almost have to bring the clutch completely up to the disengaged position before I reach friction point and the car moves off. Is it possible to adjust this so that the gear engages and the car moves off earlier in the disengage process? (does this make sense???)

Also the handbrake, while not loose, doesn't engage until the lever is fully extended. Perhaps these were the previous owner's preferred settings, but the don't suit my driving style and I'm also concerned that they may indicate an impending need for a replacement

Also, when I change gears, the shift lever feels as though it is rotating slightly in my hand this is especially the case when moving up and down into 2nd gear. Is this anything to be concerned about????

Any thoughts???
Cheers
Saabina83 :cheesy:

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
The biting point of the clutch will get lower as it wears, so when you get a new clutch it'll be high again.

Same with the handbrake - when you fit new pads it'll engage much sooner. There is a procedure in the Bentley for adjusting it but there's not much point if you need to change the pads soon. Bear in mind front handbrake cars always seem to point skywards anyway.

The gear lever, peel back the gaiter (I use a screwdriver to unhook the leather ones and run it round the edge) and you'll see three brass torx screws. Check that these are in tight - really tight. If they are then it's probably nothing to worry about and might be the kn0b swivelling a bit when you change hand position into second. A dab of glue under it might hold it fast if it is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All is much clearer now

Thanks for your reply Jezadee. (PS Your car looks fabulous!)

I was worried that the very high pickup point for the clutch was indicative that it was on the way out.

I had a look at things today re the gear shift lever... I've noticed that the handbrake lever is a bit wobbly (side to side) and I have some vague recollection of reading in a manual that things like ignition, handbrake lever and gear shift lever and somehow all share a common sort of locking or attachment device ie if one of them is loose the others are usually loose too. (Sorry I don't know the actual names of the bits)

Is this your understanding, or have I confused the Saab manual with Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales again?

Cheers
Rosie & Inga
Saabina83

BTW, I have been spreading the good word about this site amongst everyone I come across who drives a C900... expect to see a few more members from Australia. Ciao! :cheesy:

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The handbrake lever is bolted to the floorpan. The ignition lock and gearlever are part fo the same cast housing, also bolted to the floorpan. However, the handbrake lever and ignition lock/gearlever aren't connected.

There have recently been some posts about folk refurbing the gearshift linkages on their cars with great results.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=475765&postcount=25
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=475861&postcount=1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts