SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the power antenna mast (just the mast, not the motor) on our '84 900 Sedan with an aftermarket replacement I picked up on eBay. The replacement works great but, when it's fully retracted with the radio off, the top of the antenna sits about 3/4" inside the antenna tube (below the top of the grommet thingy). I'd assume that, when fully retracted, the top of the antenna should sit flush with the grommet.

I'm curious if anyone else has done a mast swap and had the same issue and, if so, what they did to correct it. Is there any sort of adjustment that can be made on the motor itself to limit how far the antenna is retracted?

I'm sure I can figure out a solution when I have time to get at the motor but going in with some of the group's wisdom would be great.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the sleeve is there. Unless I'm mistaken, all the sleeve does is stop the mast from coming out of the car, it doesn't limit the end of the antenna (the "button"?) from going too far in...

I'm wondering if the replacement mast I got has too short of a toothed belt... I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and pull the motor out again to see if I can get it figured out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I pulled the new mast back out the other day and, what do you know, it's shorter than the original:) (The mast itself.)

Rather than send it back, find a new one, wait for it to arrive, etc., I simply took my Dremel to the final section of the old mast, cutting off a piece as long as the new antenna was short. Then I just slipped this "spacer" over the belt and sent it back into the motor. Perfect flush fit; good stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts