SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering how to adjust the headlight wipers ‘rest’ position. One side sits down nicely right over the bumper, the other side is at quite an angle above the bumper.

Thank you,

Pat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha I hate when that happens...I've had a friend stand in front of the car sometimes while I run the windshield washer until they get back into place and then try and stop it in time. I'm interested too if there's anything anyone can suggest more to do; maybe, remove them somehow?

·
Registered
335 Posts
i've been thinking of removing mine... one of them works fine, but the other one seems to only go up, then not down and gets stuck like that. eventually it resets itself somehow, but now i don't like to use the windshield sprayer b/c they get all out of whack.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
hayomd said:
Haha I hate when that happens...I've had a friend stand in front of the car sometimes while I run the windshield washer until they get back into place and then try and stop it in time. I'm interested too if there's anything anyone can suggest more to do; maybe, remove them somehow?
Removing them is not a problem ...
2 things you need to make sure of.

1) you block the fluid line (otherwise the rest of your system will not work properly).
2) you give them a good home (yes, there is a place you can send them when you decide to remove them and it's not the junk yard;) ;) ).

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I "adjusted" mine by prying up the plastic cover at the base (it's very brittle) and unscrewing the nut holding them on. It's then very easy to move the wiper arm where you want it. However it's not perfect. After doing this, both my wipers are ususally parked where they belong. Once in a while one will get off again, sort of like what Sacko's do. However so far they both eventually find their way home.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Tarpot said:
Great, but what about adjusting them?

Thanks,
T
OK ... you can go here.
Specifically this page.

And if that doesn't work (I've tried it myself and know that it can), then either dispose of your non-working one and send me the other ... or get yourself a replacement motor.
The junk yard would be the best bet unless you want to spend in excess of $100 on a motor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There you go :)

Not exactly at the smoking and sparking motor stage, as Michel was, myself, though I waswondering if therewere some less intrusive tweak... but this link may help Papaquebec and others.

Regards,
T

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
One thing you may want to try first. I find that whenever I do a real quick squirt for the windshield (hold stock for 2 seconds or so), the headlight wipers always park in odd places, but if I hold it for 10 seconds or greater, they go right back to where they should be. Perhaps try running them for a little longer and see if they park properly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a strange wiper thing; one of the headlight wipers runs at twice the speed of the other one. It's almost as if it gets twice the voltage (or rather that the other one gets half). Has anyone else seen this? Is it supposed to be like this? You never know what the Saab engineers have thought of in their indefinite wisdom. Perhaps there is an aerodynamical advantage of having one of the wipers running faster? :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
largo77 said:
Perhaps there is an aerodynamical advantage of having one of the wipers running faster? :)
Is it the driver's side? If it is, perhaps Saab decided that the driver's side headlight should be more quickly cleaned than the passenger side.... or maybe something is amiss, all the Saab headlight wipers I have seen have both moved at a fast speed in concert with eachother.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My passenger side one is always the one out of place while the drivers gets back to it's rightful resting position. They definitely don't move at nearly the same speed, on my car at least...behind a car the other day I could see my headlights in the reflection off the guy's tailgate, and the passenger washer was up on it's own, so I ran a little test. That wiper didn't even move at all at first, then on a second pull of the stalk, very slowly. Since it seems to be getting worse but sill working, I'm hoping they may just need a good greasing.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You can loosen the nuts on the stalks, reset the wipers to the same rest position and retighten. After that, if they are intermittent something is probably failing, the motor or the gears.

I think the wipers stop working in unison when the motor and gears start to wear. Since they do not wear out at the same rate, they first stop running at the same speed. There is a detailed description of the motor and gears on Michel Briand's web site:

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/index.shtml

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's my passenger side wiper that goes twice as fast as the other one. I don't think the problem is due to lack of lubrication or a too tight screw. I think it's an electrical problem - either the wiper engine isn't getting enough voltage or the engine itself is starting to fade. I also think it is this deterioration of wiper speed that causes the wiper to stop where it shouldn't. When you just flush a little bit of wiper fluid, the wiper starts but stops because it hasn't gone far enough to keep going, while the fast one has.

Oh well.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sounds like the unit is trash, most likely the only way to get it to work normally, you'll have to replace or do some internal surgery on it. I recall a good set of directions somewhere, actually it may be a link earlier in this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts