SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in this forum as i think it is more of a 900 issue!

I've just fitted a 5 speed gearbox into my 99 and am trying to get the linkage adjusted right.
I've now got 4 speeds and reverse but 5th is prooving a bit tricky to find! It is a step up from the lots of neutrals that i had after my first try! :lol:

Is there a particular knack or a technique to get it right? i.e. Should i loosen the linkage and lever the box into a particular gear and then move the lever to a particular position before tightening it up?

I did try to do this but think i'm a tad too far over as 1/2 seem slightly too central and i think 5th is too far over which is why i cant get it...

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Forward of the shift lever is an alignment hole.
Loosen shift coupler.
Put transmission in 3rd gear.
Put shifter in 3rd gear position and drop a pin (drill bit) through the alignment hole and shift shaft, locking it in place.
Tighten coupler.

This procedure will get you in the right neighborhood.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you mean 3rd Jim? not 4th or reverse?

I have been looking tonight.

There is a vertical hole in the casting just forward of the stick itself. I can move the stick and see the hole right through the linkage lining up with that hole but it is never going to line up in 3rd - it is close in 4th and reverse though..

I have also found that i can just get all the gears if i am lucky - so i cant be that far out. My suspiciion is that it should line up in 4th - which would shift all my current gears over slightly and hopefully make them a bit more central on the stick,

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
nice link!

Its confused me though - my lever obviously came off a pre 85 car - so locks into reverse with the drift through the hole not 3rd like the later ones.

However - my gearbox has the diff cover with the little clips for the locking tool! It doesnt feel like it is self centering though.

The car both the box and linkage came off was an 84 i think but i have no idea if the box was original too it..

Jimmy - you should have removed the taper pin and left the adjustable bit alon. You cant go wrong with taper pins! (the 4 speed linkage is dead easy with 2 taper pins!)

can i tell what year my box is from its part number?

·
Registered
751 Posts
i should have done a lot of things, including never buying a saab in the first place :p ...yeh, it would have been wise for me to do it that way, but i was lazy to spend an hour or two messing with the pin when a 13mm spanned fixed it instantly lol

did you take the linkage from that car aswell? i suppose you did if its 5 speed eh.....i dont think you can tell. try 900aero.com its got a lot of detail about the gearbox numbers/years otherwise i'd work through the list of possiblilties there are on that website.

the other option is to look at the the black oil/crap stain on the selector shaft. match that to the end of the gearbox selector shaft. should get you very close.....thats IF you didnt give it a spit and polish :roll:

have fun which ever way :p

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimmyG said:
the other option is to look at the the black oil/crap stain on the selector shaft. match that to the end of the gearbox selector shaft. should get you very close.....thats IF you didnt give it a spit and polish :roll:

have fun which ever way :p
worse than that - I hacksawed a couple of inches off the end so that it would fit in the 99! :lol: (the 5 speed linkage and box were from a 900)

·
Registered
751 Posts
as you shortend the rod its probably a case of keep trying till you find something. :confused:

right now i'm ready to shoot the postman when he comes. paid £18.50 for 24 hour deilvery, still no sign of the package when it was meant to be here yesturday morning. its parcelforce. i cant get hold of an operator as there phones are all robots. can you claim back your money?!?!

whats the gear order from the boxs selector shaft from the shaft being at its shortest to longest? i knocked it and cant remember which gears are which!:roll:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the shortening shouldnt matter - it only removes the extra distance that the 900 has between the engine and bulkhead.

put it in reverse and loosened the linkage bolt. Then put a screw through the hole and tightened it up again and now my gearchange is perfect! (well they all select while stationary anyhow and i can easily move back and forth in 1st and reverse!).

The lever on the box is the opposite of the gearstick position - so rod pushed right in and turned to the left is reverse.

·
Registered
751 Posts
right thats what i was thinking, but i didn't know whether there was enough rod left to use the pin hole or maybe im talking washe:lol: . i can prob do the same with mine. how many clicks out is 3rd....dare i ask lol

how much more work till shes ready to start? certanily cant wait to get my 99T on the road...next year...next year lol

im hoping my parts come soon. the driver is supposed to phone me when he gets close....just takes a few nicely worded phone calls to lazy depots to get there act together...:nono; :roll:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Tom, you could probably do with looking out for the selector from an 83/84 99 GL. This will have the centering mechanism on the front of the selector as well.

When I pulled apart the rotten 99T there was no centering mechanism,
for some reason 4 speed cars don't seem to have them (probably cos if you exlude reverse, a 4 speed only has 2 available "channels" of movement back and forth, so it matters less than on the 5 speed which has 3 channels of movement).

Are you using the gear selector from the 900 or the original 4 speed selector still? Just a thought that the brass ring that holds the ball of the gearlever into its socket on the fourspeed box has extra metal (the centre of the ring is a slot rather than a circular hole like the 5 speed) that might limit its movement.

Another thing you might try is the pin at the base of the gear lever, bear in mind that 5th is not directly opposite from Reverse. You should have to pull up the syringe mechanism under the gear nob to find reverse. If you can get reverse without doing this I would suggest that when you are trying for fifth you are shoving the gear lever too far across. My gearlever pin is badly adjusted and sometimes when I try for fifth gear the pin misses the lip on the plastic under-tray which is supposed to stop you from pushing the gear lever across too far, which can make getting fifth difficult sometimes. Pull out your gear lever and screw the pin out so it is longer (I think it should protrude 22mm IIRC, check the tut that Jimmy posted). If that doesn't work then I'm guessing the lip on the plastic undertray is worn away and wants replacing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts