SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a 12x12 sheet of neoprene foam rubber, 3/16" thick from mcmaster-carr.com to cut to fit and use as a dead pedal in my 9-3. It has an adhesive backing, but I don't think it's strong enough. Any ideas on what type of adhesive I can use to glue it down to the carpet? I can't use screws or bolts b/c the neoprene rubber too thin to counter-sink screws into...and I dont want them sticking out.

I was thinking of plain old epoxy, or liqud nails type adhesive. Any ideas? It'll have to withstand broad temperature ranges and some flex in the carpet.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am also lookin' into a dead-pedal for my car...would be nice not to have to introduce salt stains on to the carpet...

Paul

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Liquid Nails is nasty stuff, but strong. I would try a simple hot glue gun on the back of the neoprene. See how it sticks when cooled. I guarantee it will grip the carpet, but the neoprene may pose a problem.

If the neoprene is very smooth you may have to score the back side to give the glued surface some "tooth."

The glue sticks have the advantage of being relatively clear should you drip any while working. Liquid nails will be with you forever should a stray drop fall somewhere. The downside of glue guns is the glue hardens quicker in cold weather, so less working time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about hot glue....I guess it probably doesn't get warm enough down there to melt it in the summertime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about using the hook-side of velcro strips stuck to the back of your neoprene rubber? The hooks grip the carpet quite well.

I'm using that to stick my amps down under my seat and planning to stick some flexable plastic onto the dead pedal.
Best part, it's removable!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nugee said:
How about using the hook-side of velcro strips stuck to the back of your neoprene rubber? The hooks grip the carpet quite well.

I'm using that to stick my amps down under my seat and planning to stick some flexable plastic onto the dead pedal.
Best part, it's removable!
That would be good. I ended up using the adhesive backing as well as adding some hot glue. It's really solid. Working great, and nice to have a place to put my foot that not staining the carpet!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts