SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding foglamps to my 2006 9-3 2.0T. Got a set on ebay from an Aero for $75.

I'm going to use the "-" button or an aftermarket switch. I don't see the need to invest another (nearly) $100 for the headlight/fog switch and I don't want the hassle of dealing with the stealerships in the area for TechII.

Question: Should I get the OEM foglamp wiring harness for $90 or could I go with a universal harness on Amazon? One is available at 130 watts, 40 amps for under $20. I can't find the electrical capacity specs on the OEM harness (how many watts/amps should the harness be capable of?).

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

-Steve

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, from my understanding, you're still going to need the "-" button enabled before you can use it for anything, and even then most people who have tried to use it, seem to have struggled so badly that they've given up.

Also, if you have a 2006, you may want to check the wiring harness that's already on the car to see if it just *happens* to have the foglight plugs. Apparently, 2006's sometimes just *happened* to have them without the option necessarily being selected (mine did ;ol;).

Either way, just going with the OEM harness will save you heartache/headache and it'll look clean, too. And if you take it in to have some TechII done, may as well get the DRL's turned off, if they'll let you.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
The " - " switch won't work. Period.

You really need to get an OEM headlight switch with the fog button. And the OEM harness.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found the existing harness wired in place. Now I guess I need the switch and the two plates that seal the fog light housing on the bottom!

Thank you all for your input - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The " - " switch won't work. Period.

You really need to get an OEM headlight switch with the fog button. And the OEM harness.
I've been reading up on that switch for the past few days, and it's a damn shame to have a pointless toggle switch, it even illuminates! They could have used a relay at least and did a toggle for interior gauge colors :)

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
I've been reading up on that switch for the past few days, and it's a damn shame to have a pointless toggle switch, it even illuminates! They could have used a relay at least and did a toggle for interior gauge colors :)
I think its just a place holder as the convertibles have a top up/down button in the line up.

I had my switch apart by accident one day, there wasn't anything behind it that I saw.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
I actually did wire the " - " switch and made it work. However, it can only be used as a momentary switch, which is pretty much pointless.

·
Registered
437 Posts
did you buy Saab specific harness and relay or make your own?

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The " - " switch is for an extra set of driving lights that can only be turned on when the brights are on. As mentioned a harness and relay kit is needed and Tech2 programming.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
But actually it can be used as a momentary switch if desired. No harness, relay, or Tech 2 required.

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
If it wasn't a pain, I would go back in to look at mine, I screwed up taking my panel out and the damn thing all came apart on me, buttons and all, I don't know how I got it all back together LOL

But for some reason, I couldn't have sworn there was nothing to make work behind the switch, dunno, I could certainly be wrong.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know where I can get the seal/gasket/cap for the bottom of the fog lights? The ones I got on ebay didn't come with them and the bottom of my fogs are exposed (using tape for now).

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts