SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by Bob’s thread on the aux in. Here is a bit on installing BT in your radio.

It took me forever to figure this out - the common aux in via Telephone traces on the circuit board (the 9-5 method) doesn’t work quite right on an og9-3 radio. So I dug through some 15-year-old blog posts (thank you wayback machine!) and hacked some stuff together with an alibaba Bluetooth module. Hopefully this helps someone - short version is I powered the module from a +5V point on the board. Used a NPN transistor to trigger the telephone mute line. Used the cd changer preamp (stereo) to feed the Telephone input on the internal equalizer. You can’t use the telephone eq input directly because it’s too low volume, and you can’t use the telephone pre-amp because it’s mono.

let me know if you need more details.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the part of the board you have to modify. Cut the traces marked by red lines and add jumpers indicate by blue lines. Feed the audio in from the module to the CD-AC L+ and R+ in the upper right part of the board. I didn't get a pic but it's marked. You have to cut all of the traces shown below or you will get mono and/or a lot of distortion. The BT module has really low output levels (modern standard) which kind of sucks but I didn't want to mess with building an amplifier. There are other modules with speaker-level outputs that might work a bit better, you could skip using the CD Changer pre-amp if you do that. You could maybe add a resistor or two to bring the level back down to where it needs to be. Technically the CD Changer input is expecting a differential (+/-) signal but it seems to run fine with a single-sided input (ground the output ground of the BT module)

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Kuel... will study this, although with my other work I might need to integrate with my integration. Bluetooth would be be handy.

Is this a module that provides phone as well as radio i.e. the mute function is for incoming calls? What's the transistor model?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I'm sure I'm being dense, but why trigger the tel mute? If you're using the CD source, wouldn't just switching the input to CD be sufficient?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the transistor is a 2N2222, just a generic NPN. I added a 470 ohm resistor because the module has a mute pin that goes high to 1.9V. This pulls it down and shorts the collector to ground. The stereo is expecting a ground on that pin to mute and switch to telephone mode. There's no other way to select telephone mode - when it's on, the screen says "TELEPHONE" but as soon as I stop playing music or hang up the call it goes back to whatever mode it was in before.

This module has a microphone input and does calls. The first one I got is audio only. It defaults to full volume and it's the latest version of bluetooth so you don't even need volume or hang-up switches, you can do it all through your phone (answer/vol+ and -, hang up) Though if you wanted to, you could add them. You could probably even add a 2006+ 9-5 steering wheel with the buttons if you had something that could translate the CAN bus signals but it's a bit more involved.

I added a mono 1/8 jack to the back of the radio chassis for the microphone but I didn't take pictures. The mic is just a cheapie handsfree from Aliexpress with a long cord and a 1/8 plug. I have it dangling at the moment but when I get it installed properly I'll take a pic.

I used the telephone source in the internal eq - you could use the CD source but you would need to have a blank CD in the player. You can still play a CD if you still have CDs.

I don't think you can use the CD changer source inside the EQ unless you can somehow convince the radio you have a CD changer installed - that's what the "bluesaab" DIY module does. It uses CAN bus to tell the radio you have a CD in the changer and allows for different messages on the screen, basically just using the radio to play CD changer source.

I "stole" the CD changer pre-amp out of the circuit because it's always on and it was already there but if you have a CD changer and want to keep it functioning, you could add a small stereo op-amp. Would require some experimentation to get the volume right.

I powered it from the "always on" power inside the radio but I wish I had powered it from a switched source, because then you get the automatic parking location and other ios/android features.

If you're really determined, you can buy a programmer and change the name of the bluetooth to "Robert's SAAB" or something but I left the default "qc3008" or whatever.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Ah, gotcha. The reason to activate telephone mode is so you can actually use the telephone features in the car. Makes sense. If you just want to play audio, there isn't a specific reason to choose this input over another, right? I wonder if there is a way to beat the blank CD requirement... even if the cost is a broken CD player. Who has CDs?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure, I would need to look into the wiring. There may be a way to fake whatever signal the CD player sends out to the rest of the radio, so that it switches to CD when the bluetooth is connected.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Did you consider using the Saab built in microphone and not use it for some reason?

Do I understand correctly that all that audio output - telephone or music from your personal device - feeds through the same inputs? I'm thinking about a dual integrated approach where I get my aux input working in conjunction with the ability to use the bluetooth input for telephone calls OR for playback with bluetooth capable devices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wasn't aware of the built-in microphone actually. I didn't know it existed! Not sure if mine has it or not, as I've never looked.

I did some quick research and it appears to have some circuitry built in, which might make it not work as the BT board I'm using has some biasing circuitry already.

Yes, i use the bluetooth exclusively for audio and phone calls. You could use the same method to add an Aux in, but you would need some way to ground the telephone mute pin.

With your setup I would just add the bluetooth to your Aux circuitry. I don't think you would need another switch or anything. Just turn off whatever is plugged into the Aux port.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Saab Microphone is located in the a-pillar on a 'vert and in the overhead switch pack for at 3d/5d (that funky little oval grill). I believe it feeds to the "telephone" connector... although that circuitry is poorly laid out in the WIS. Might require some studying and color code checking.

So if I get this:
  • the bluetooth module output standard stereo left/right/ground
  • there's a separate telephone trigger on the module that you adapted to trigger the Saab mute
  • there's a two-wire mic input on the bluetooth module.

What module did you use?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I read some time ago the mic is only connected to Onstar, but I couldn't make heads nor tails from the wiring diagram to confirm or reject that idea!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bob, that’s all correct. Module has a built in pre-amp, supports phone calls and has mic in. It’s called a “QC3008” module. There are many similar ones on AliExpress. Took forever to get here from China but only cost about $14.

The first one I got didn’t do calls (no mic in). Make sure you get one that has a pre-amp built in.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Original mic have low and high levels. See WIS at telephone preparation.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Same mic in all versions. I have used mic with Nokia HF set in 9-5s.
My recent 9-3s have UHP (2012 Griffin), Android with original Saab mic (2009 XWD). I do not use phone in my 2006 CV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts