SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of doing some slight upgrades to the h/k system. Currently I am trying to get some better bass out of the 6x9s. I bought some replacements, CDT cl-69 subs. They sound amazing, but clearly need more power than the stock amp can supply. I've been reading the threads on adding a sub and amp but thats obviously not exactly what I'm trying to do here.

What would be the best way to simply add a small amp (probably a 200w), to power these two new 6x9s, to the existing system? I was thinking just use the trailer harness for power and simply putting the new amp in line between the stock amp and my new speakers.

Also, whats the deal with sing a LOC versus just buying an amp that can accept speker level input?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A dedicated power wire will need to be ran to the amp. A 200 watt amp at 14 volts can draw 14 amps.

For signal to the amp: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1184120&postcount=67

Then look at this: http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml
that post from stipud is helpful and I've used the Angry Kitchen Appliances site many times. I guess I should've added originally I really don't want to tear my car apart to run wires to the trunk hence the reason i would use the trailer harness. Further research and I've managed to find out the trailer fuse is 30A so that should be plenty for my purposes.

Is it a better idea to run the RCAs or just use the signal being sent to the rear speakers? pros/cons?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You are right. 200 watts is not that much... Aftermarket decks have that power.

I wired my rca cables straight to the wires at the factory amp. I can't say the difference of using a LOC. I know stipud says they decrease sound quality.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right. 200 watts is not that much... Aftermarket decks have that power.

I wired my rca cables straight to the wires at the factory amp. I can't say the difference of using a LOC. I know stipud says they decrease sound quality.
Where did you route those RCA cables? Just under the door trim on the right side?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts