SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I could move the steering wheel down after I get in, it'd be more comefortable driving.
Were there any 900's with tilt steering wheels?
Did my SPG get one and I just can't find the lever?
What is/would be involved in removing the steering column?
Would there be a problem putting in a column from a earlier year car? All the headliner removal guides are incorrect for my '89 so I wonder what else could be wrong...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
You could look at the steering column mounts and see if there would be a way to safely lower the part nearest the dash - it wouldn't adjust but it would give you the lower position you're seeking. I did this with a Yugo many years ago (yes, I had a Yugo, not only will I admit to ownership, I'll admit that I really liked it) after I'd installed RX7 seats in it and done some work to the suspension (with Abarth parts) - fitting a column from another vehicle could be an interesting re-engineering exercise - and potentially (if not done correctly) could prove fatal in an accident or fail and cause an accident. Again - not saying that it can't be done - but be careful if you decide to try.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i have never had a problem with steering wheel position and im almost 6'5

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
You could look at the steering column mounts and see if there would be a way to safely lower the part nearest the dash - it wouldn't adjust but it would give you the lower position you're seeking.

IIRC from stripping a few down the wheel is only held to the lower dash bracketry by 2 or 3 nuts and bolts. You could replace them with longer ones with a spacer in.

I'm 6'3 and find the saab quite confortable (though i need new seat base foam!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me the wheel feels like it's pointed somewhat verticle and I like 'em horizontal.
No tilt option at all? That sucks. I wouldn't go through the work of putting some random column in, I was hoping it had been an option that this didn't get. Oh well.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to a realativly comapct interior, not one borrowed from a truck. Not used to no arm rests either, but with the turbo...you/I shouldn't be resting our arms :D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
yes, I had a Yugo, not only will I admit to ownership, I'll admit that I really liked it
Bah! Ha! hahahahaha! (snort) Heh, hahahaha! (tries to compose himself,but just can't do it) Ha!hahahahahaha!Hoo!(falls of his chair and reaches for a Werthers) sorry... no I'm not ....Ha!hahahaha! (snort) .............:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
grif900 said:
Bah! Ha! hahahahaha! (snort) Heh, hahahaha! (tries to compose himself,but just can't do it) Ha!hahahahahaha!Hoo!(falls of his chair and reaches for a Werthers) sorry... no I'm not ....Ha!hahahaha! (snort) .............:cheesy:
pardon me while I make a fist and slowly extend the middle digit in your general direction!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
fetchitfido said:
To me the wheel feels like it's pointed somewhat verticle and I like 'em horizontal.
I like my ladies horizontal but prefer my steering wheels vertical - if you prefer a horizontal steering wheel might I suggest you buy a late 1940's Greyhound Bus and play Raph Kramden (the honeymooners)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts