SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, may I ask, is the best route to go when adding a subwoofer to my convertible? Where is the best place to get a signal on a convertible? Help me please....... 2004 ARC convertible with 7 speaker sound system.:roll:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I believe the verts have 6x9 cutouts in the rear side panels.
For signal, you will need to tap AMP1 under the seat and use the speaker signal to feed an aftermarket amp.

You can use 6x9's as subs without giving up much trunk space (only that needed for the amp). Or you can put a 10" sub in the trunk in a separate enclosure.

6x9's are not as bad a compromise as they might sound, provided you have adequate power and set the crossover right. But a 10" would be better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2004 9-3 Vert ARC sub amp

ctrlz said:
I believe the verts have 6x9 cutouts in the rear side panels.
For signal, you will need to tap AMP1 under the seat and use the speaker signal to feed an aftermarket amp.

You can use 6x9's as subs without giving up much trunk space (only that needed for the amp). Or you can put a 10" sub in the trunk in a separate enclosure.

6x9's are not as bad a compromise as they might sound, provided you have adequate power and set the crossover right. But a 10" would be better.

I wonder if their is any other place on the vert to get signal? Someone rounded the torx bolt heads off on the seat and it will be extremely difficult to get them out. I want to avoid this problem if I can. Can you get signal from the antennae? Seems like I saw that somewhere in the vast information searches I have tried.;oops: (no I did not do it....previously rounded before I got my grubby hands on it)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
i rounded the heads off my seat trying to get a signal, the bolts were as strong as butter :roll:

I tapped the signal off the front door 6.5s, if the vert is the same, thats the route i would go

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am talking about the remote turn on signal. I did manage to get speakers wired through the box thats right under carpet on drivers side. Sorry I did not explain myself a little better....what do you expect from a hillbilly....Lexington, TN;oops:

I looked at the tech stuff, but I do not have the auto dimming fuse in my vert that was used on one of those installs, so I'm looking for RTO somewhere other than under the seat if possible...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read on another thread that used fuse 17 for the RTO. That is the auto dimming mirror/rain sensor fuse on my 9-3. Wouldn't that work? Its only on when the key is on, right? 7.5v fuse in it and the RTO should draw about 1.5 volts at turn on. Reckon i would fry anything? HELP ME>>>>>I'M STUPID!!!!:cry:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,336 Posts
I've used Fuse 17 for years. Nothing has blown up yet.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
mikey9864 said:
RTO should draw about 1.5 volts at turn on. Reckon i would fry anything?
It's fused at 7.5 amps, not volts. Your rto is 12 V, but the amperage is probably less than 0.1. You will be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I really did mean amps, but like I said .....hillbilly.

By the way... a 2004 ARC convertible with 7 spkr system has 3.5" speakers in the back panels and the covers just pop off like the dash. I also have decided to go with the 6x9 amped speakers behind the rear seat to save the already small trunk space.
Thanks for the help guys. I have found lots of info(some good, some ?) and when I get through I will post all of the info for the next poor sucker. Man, you think that a car as high class as a SAAB would have decent audio......

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
mikey9864 said:
Man, you think that a car as high class as a SAAB would have decent audio......
just wait till you see the other issues these "high" class cars have. Its a good thing they they have inbcredible driving dynamics :lol:

·
Banned
631 Posts
if GM didn't get their hands on Saab I think Saab would still have a good name.
I love my saab, but so far problematic. :p

Still love it. and will continue to love it.

But my next car is defintaly going to be Volvo / Audi / BMW ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
if GM didn't get their hands on Saab I think Saab would still have a good name
Unfortunately, I think if GM hadn't got their hands on SAAB, SAAB would have gone bankrupt.

By many measures, their quality and perceived quality have improved. Different perhaps than historical, but has improved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2004 Arc Convertible rear sub amp add on instructions

Here you will find how and where to get amp power for an amp to drive rear 6x9's or a sub on the 2004 Arc Vert. It may work on other models????

I got main power from fuse #22 (amp III fuse) in the trunk fuse panel. Its good for 30 amps or less, otherwise get power from the battery.

I got remote power from fuse #17 (auto dimmer rear view mirror) in the trunk fuse panel. The amp will only operate when car is running or key is in the on position.

Signal for the rear sub and/or speakers comes from the door speaker wires. You can find those wires under the panel near your left foot, where the hood release is located. The wires are in the large bundle of wires and in the middle, so you will have to dig for them.(another location is provided by Tech.help by JLa if desired)
This area is also perfect for wiring up and hiding the LOC you will use for the wiring to the amp.

The following are the wires to the door speakers you will use They are twisted pairs so you will have no problem getting the right ones.
Left door speaker negative(-) gray/white, left door speaker positive(+) green
Right door speaker negative(-)gray/white, right door speaker positive(+) blue

Wire these up to your LOC and run the RCA cables under the carpet by removing the floor edge panels till you get to the back seat.
REMOVE the back seat by taking out the 2 torx bits holding it in at the sides. REMOVE the rear back rests by taking out the headrests and removing the 2 torx bits that old the backs in.(snaps in at the bottom, so give a tug) It is not neccesary to take the seatbelts loose as they will pull forward enough to get in there easily. Here yo can easily see the opening to the trunk. Plug them up and follow instrutions with the LOC and amp to get final adjustments. Try everything out, if it works, YOUR DONE! Reassemble the seats and covers and enjoy. Took me about 2 hours to do it all. (after I figured out this was the easiest way to go)

If you go with rear 6x9's the mounting holes will have to be drilled and tapped or drilled out to accomodate your screw size(drilled tapped and loctite myself)

By the way, the rear panel speakers are 3.5" and the cover snaps off just like the dash speaker covers. Easy replacements. (I used MB QUART 3.5" DISCUS 108) Haven't done the doors yet, but I will let you know here what they are on this model. The dash speakers are pretty simple also.(don't drop a screw) They do not even have a tweeter in there so you don't have to worry about that extra work. You will need some soldering or wire connectors because you have to cut off the factory plugs. 1 is negative on the plug, 2 is positive. Write down your wire colors so you won't get confused!
GOOD LUCK!

·
Super Moderator
20,336 Posts
Where i can find hole for the +wire to the battary?
Cut a slit in the rubber grommet around the steering column

1 - 16 of 16 Posts