SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: empty slot for the aux inlet in the arm rest. Would this be possible to install?

Has anyone tried this on a 2008 9-3?

Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
That would rather depend on the headunit than the car itself, so you either should look up the documents (if available) or pull the stereo out to look on the factory stickers.

Registered
...but, Bluesteeltuner: proper soundproofing is one hell of work, as it basically means to clean out the whole interior (and some exterior parts like the rearview mirrors, plate holders etc.) of the car before applying the installations. Plus, it also adds some considerable weight if you go the whole way. Even partially silencing only the larger sheet metal areas like the doors and the roof can easily take two weekends.

Just to let you know. ;)

Registered
Re: empty slot for the aux inlet in the arm rest. Would this be possible to install?

Has anyone tried this on a 2008 9-3?
There is no connection on the later cars for that aux input. The aux input was moved to the radio face plate, as I'm sure you have seen.

Registered
If you get really motivated pop out the radio and solder a few wires to the inside of the port on the radio front and mount a new aux port anywhere in the car you want. For my sons car I did this and mounted one of the cheap Amazon Bluetooth button units in the ceiling wired into this port and power.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Even hid all the wires to keep his wife happy.
My wife HATES wires.

RE: mount a new aux port anywhere in the car you want.
I just might do this, is the FM transmitter sucks (just heard one, and wasn't pleased)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That would rather depend on the headunit than the car itself, so you either should look up the documents (if available) or pull the stereo out to look on the factory stickers.
I checked my docs, and nothing listed. I'll pull the HU out and take some pics

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thx for the detail
Re: I don't like the lack of any tactile controls.
My wife would hate that (MWWHT)
Re: The screen is absurdly reflective
MWWHT
RE: put a matte cover on it which makes it blurry
MWWHT
Re: The sound quality didn't really improve
I'd hate that!
RE: unlike my experience with other cars where I've replaced the stock head unit but left the original speakers and amplifier. It annoys me immensely that I had to use a line level converter on the speaker outputs in order to prevent feedback noise.
Agreed
Re: The dimmer function on the Connects2 doesn't work well
MWWHT

I'm praying a speaker upgrade and a Bluetooth FM transmitter will sound better.
Otherwise, it's the full swap or the Bluetooth and aux retrofit kits for SAAB solution (which doesn't sound ideal)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have to say (having installed aftermarket stereos in EVERY vehicle I've ever owned) that this modernization has made things very convoluted. Endless options, endless variables, most with drawbacks and needless complexity.
Rant over.
Ex-8track owner (and cassette pencil, and cd-burner)

Reactions: Germaniac

Registered
I don't mind the complexity (I still have some stereos from the 2000s with far more options to f**k around compared to the current headunit in my 9-5), but with the advent of the sophisticated factory units it seems that the OEM have given up on making the radios also user-friendly enough. Like, for example, on my old JVC it only takes one press of a button to activate TA though I can even even adjust each speaker to a specified position but on the Clarion I have to touchscreen through menus until I have finally reached my destination.

If it wasn't for the limited capabilities of handling USB sticks and SD cards I would probably install the JVC again.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts