SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just to clarify the point of the static page I posted earlier - they are simply rough illustrations of 3 results you might get by doing 3 separate searches; on 8V (in a code search), eight valve (in a decode search) and engine types (in a subcategory search). I didn't even bother with a category search example....actually that would end up being more like a list or index.

Anyhow, put simply, if you want to link one piece of data to another, it can be readily done (but it takes time), so for the humble AMM for example, you could search on AMM to find AMM-specific comments, articles, pictures, saabcentral thread links...whatever.

Doing it best means thinking it through to come up with the most useful, least complicated to use (and build) database. It is easy to go overboard - when all you want is a quick bite the last thing you need is pizza with the lot.

If anyone is interested in working on this, I'm in (although I'd caution it should be done without expectations it will happen overnight). It would take some serious co-ordinating of information, so I think would want a moderator or serious Saabcentral nut with no life to help out.

Just kidding.;)

Oh, and did I mention my mapped engine photo which you can mouse over to find the names and location of various parts? ;) Just a little personal work-in-progress, but coming along nicely. I'll post an example when I've got time to finish it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
grif900 said:
Steve the thread is already in the F.A.Q.s:cool:
Grif,

Actually the list at the beginning of this thread is the most recent update and it looks like it will need another update soon as people continue to make submissions.

The original post has all the individual entries, but it's cumbersome to use and as I said doesn't have the most recently updated list. It would have been better to link to this thread.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
This thread is still growing and you have an offer from silversaab to help refine it, i'd go with it. If I were a moderator I'd probably merge the two threads.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
silversaab96 said:
If anyone is interested in working on this, I'm in (although I'd caution it should be done without expectations it will happen overnight). It would take some serious co-ordinating of information, so I think would want a moderator or serious Saabcentral nut with no life to help out.
SilverSaab,

I'm good to go with this idea but you'll have to lead the way. How do we begin?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi Steve,

I was thinking that such a database could be set up on Saab Central, but that might be too messy to co-ordinate, in which case I could host it offsite no probs. That would certainly allow a large degree of freedom. Nevertheless perhaps it would be worthwhile if you could contact a moderator or someone otherwise "officially" connected to Saab Central to see if they could/would host such a database and what platform it would operate under etc etc.

Secondly, someone will need to do the gathering and co-ordinating of the information to go into said database. That doesn't have to happen immediately though. Further down the line, various items of good info could be gathered via an online form which contributors fill in and submit. That would need some co-ordination and editing too.

All a bit vague at this stage as my original thought was simply that a "self-help" database would make life a little easier all round, but perhaps we could give this thread a rest and communicate via private messages and email. I'll send you a message shortly. Cheers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great work Steve, thanks.
I've only just found this very useful resource. I notice that it's rather old though (2008). Does it need updating? Is it 'Stickied' anywhere?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've already Found a 'hole' in it - without even trying.
CIM - Not there! (something Ignition Module?) I know I could track it down, but it illustrates my point... the original post is 12 years old, maybe it's ripe for updating?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks aerojon, I tend to think of the 'Forum' as the whole SAAB CENTRAL site, and the 'model' sections as subforums. The word "THIS" capitalised in (your) title makes it clearer.
Column Integration Module... Thanks jvanabra!

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
The only column integration module a c900 has is the horn contact ring.
That's just a contact ring,the only saab i know that uses CIM is the 9-3SS

Thanks aerojon, I tend to think of the 'Forum' as the whole SAAB CENTRAL site, and the 'model' sections as subforums. The word "THIS" capitalised in (your) title makes it clearer.
Column Integration Module... Thanks jvanabra!
each car has it's own acronyms so to speak,You won't find TWICE used in the 9-3SS forum,but you will in the OG9-3 and 9-5 forum..(y)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts