SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a list of common acronyms used in this forum.

List Updated 01/24/08

2SN = 2-door sedan (aka 'notchback')

3 door = 2 door + hatch.
3CK = 3-door hatchback

4SN = 4-door sedan

5CK = 5-door hatchback

8V = Eight Valve
16V = Sixteen Valve

AAV = (8v) Auxilliary Air Valve
AC = Air Conditioning
ABS = Anti-Lock Brake System
Aero = what would be 'SPG' in the USA/Canada
AG = Autoglym ... great cleaning/polishing range for Classic 900s
AIC = Automatic Idle Control
AMM = Air Mass Meter
APC = Automatic Perfomance Control (see: Wiki)
ATDC = After Top Dead Center. Ignition timing measurement on flywheel, i.e. 3 degrees ATDC. (See BTDC)
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

B201 = The engine in the 99/C900 8V. "B" is for benzine i.e. petrol / gasoline. A 2 liter gas engine with 1 camshaft (came in B type & H type variants)
B202 = The engine in the C900 16V. A Gasoline ("B" for benzine / petrol) powered 2 liter engine with 2 camsafts.
B204L = A gasoline (B = Benzine i.e. petrol) 2 liter engine with 2 camshafts, 2 balance shafts (2 + 2 = 4), and a Low Pressure Turbo.
B212 = A gasoline ("B" for benzine / petrol) powered 2.1 liter engine in the C900 16V NA with 2 camshafts (only in some markets)
B234 = The 2.3 engine from the SAAB 9000. A gasoline ("B" for benzine / petrol) powered 2.3 liter engine with 2 camshafts and 2 balance shafts (2 + 2 = 4) A popular performance increasing head which can be used on the 16V block.
BOV = Blow off valve
BPV = (Turbo) By Pass Valve
BTDC = Before Top Dead Center. Ignition timing measurement on flywheel, i.e. 14 degrees BTDC. (See ATDC)

CD = Corps Diplomat (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...83-1985_cd.html)
CEL = Check Engine Light
CET = [by US owners] Commemorative Edition Turbo (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...s/1993_cet.html & http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...onvertible.html)
CIS = Continuous Injection System (refering to the type of fuel injection)
CPS = Crank Position Sensor
CSI = Cold Start Injector
CTS = Coolant Temperature Sensor
CV = convertible
CV (joint) = Constant Velocity Joint

DIC = Direct Ignition Cassette
Dizzy = Distributor
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code

ECU = Electronic Control Unit
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation system
ELCD = Evaporative Loss Control Device
EMS = Engine Management System
EMS = Electronic Manual Special (a Special 99 released in 1972)
EP = EcoPower (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...adge_900ep.html)
EV1 - Experimental Vehicle 1 (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...s/1985_ev1.html
EZK = Ignition system used by NA cars. (stands for something in a different language, maybe German)

FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator (See LPT)
FPT = Full Pressure Turbo

GL = Grand Luxe
GLE = Grand Luxe Elegant/Extra
GLS = Grand Luxe Super
GM = General Motors (who bought a considerable chunk of SAAB in 1990 and made a complete takeover in 2000)

IC = Intercooler (See SMIC and FMIC)

K-jet = Bosch's K-Jetronic CIS

LH = Bosch's LH (Luftmassenmesser Hitzdraht) (Using hotwire AMM) Injection
LPT = Low Pressure Turbo (See FPT)

Meg's = Meguiars ... another great cleaning/polishing range for Classic 900s
MY = Model year (like, MY2008 - model year 2008)

NA = Naturally Aspirated
NG900 = The 'New Generation' 900, otherwise known as the GM900, due to the complete re-design under the new GM production model. This car platform shared with Opel/Vauxhall) 1994 (except '94 900 convertible) through 1998.
Notch = Notchback (2 door with a trunk)
NTC = negative temperature coefficient

OS = Oxygen Sensor

PAS = Power Assisted Steering

S = Sport as in 900S
SAAB = Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolaget
SC = Saab Central
SE = In the U.S. and Canada not a badged designation, but understood to mean "special edition" such as the 1991 Monte Carlo, Commemorative Edition, and Spring Time In Sweden edition.
SE = In non U.S. / Canada markets, a model with the SE badge but not necessarily special.
SID = saab infotainment display
SIS = [by US owners] Springtime in Sweden (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...s/1988_sis.html)

SMIC = Side Mount Intercooler
SPG = Special Perfomance Group
SRS = Supplemental Retraint System (Saab's Airbag)

T = Turbo
T5 = Trionic 5 System
T7 = Trionic 7 System
T8 = 8 Valve Turbo
T8S = T8 Special (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...s/1989_t8s.html & http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...89_t8_aero.html) ... notice that the UK model is very different to the Swedish model, but both are referred to as the T8S
T16 = 16 Valve Turbo
TB = throttle body
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

WUR = Warm-up Regulator
XS - Executive Special (see: http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...91-1992_xs.html)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Orca said:
Thanks Steve - good compilation. Perhaps a moderator can sticky this?
I'll second that - it's a good thread Steve and the original thread had lots of contributions so it's a handy 'community' resource for everyone.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
c900 said:
I'll second that - it's a good thread Steve and the original thread had lots of contributions so it's a handy 'community' resource for everyone.

Craig.
You got it Craig. Nearly everybody that regularly frequents this forum contrubuted something. I contributed my exceptional alphabetizing skills. :lol: I too am pleased that it turned out so good and proud to have been associated with the project. My thanks to everyone who participated.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Steve-It's a very good list so far, but I think it still needs a little polish. Although expertly alphabetized, the list is rather scattered. I suggest a few catagorys (in alphabetical order of course), ie. engine, model, products, etc.. what do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Steve Corgan said:
Here's a list of common acronyms used in this forum.

List Updated 01/24/08

IC = Intercooler (See SMIC and FMIC)
Not to Hijack.... too much

Due to some late night garage activites last night...I have been saying this in my head all day long...
OMGFMIC!!!

ohmygodfrontmountintercooler!...

thanks good nite...

·
Registered
193 Posts
grif900 said:
Steve-It's a very good list so far, but I think it still needs a little polish. Although expertly alphabetized, the list is rather scattered. I suggest a few catagorys (in alphabetical order of course), ie. engine, model, products, etc.. what do you think?
Categories aren't very useful if you don't know what the acronym means, which I imagine is why most people would use a list like this...

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Horns said:
Categories aren't very useful if you don't know what the acronym means, which I imagine is why most people would use a list like this...
I agree, but dizzy and megs are not acronyms, wich is what got me thinking about catagorys.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Improving the list

grif900 said:
Let's keep thinking of ways to improve the list. Horns has a point. If you don't know what an acronym means, then you wouldn't know which category to look in to find it, so a categorical grouping in that case wouldn't be an improvement.

However, if you're say working on an idling problem and you wanted to first familiarize yourself with the acronyms associated with the emmissions and injection systems, then maybe a list by category would help. (Actually it would be best to fix your vacuum leak first and skip the acronyms. :lol: )

The way I think we'd have to do it is offer two listings, one alphabetical and the other by category. That way a person could go to whichever list was most useful in any given situation.

Although at the moment I'm leaning towards only maintaining one alphabetical list, let's kick the categorical idea around a bit. Take a look at the list and then make suggestions regarding which categories you think we would include. It will only take a few minutes to cut and paste the list into categories once we have the categories. Grif already suggested:

Engine
Model Designations
Products (what do you mean by "products?")

Emission / Injection Systems (one or two categories?)

What else? I need help. I don't know what some of the stuff listed is ;oops:

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Nice list. I think 2 versions is the best way to go - alphabetised (useful for someone looking up something they dont know), and categorised.

Also - you missed one in the engine type lists.

B20 - how the B-type version of the B201 is often referred to. Has one camshaft and one idler shaft that drives the distributer and oil pump.
People like Elring use 'B20' in their listings.

and some more:

WI
- water injection (wiki)

SOC - Saab owners club
PFS - Parts For Saabs

and i saw someone in the lounge the other day having to explain to a north american member what 'UKS' was:
UKS - UKsaabs (UK web forum)

I think you should add 'H type' and 'B type' as entries too (and link them to the wiki article). They are not strictly acronyms but i can see somebody who didnt know what they were trying to look them up as such.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tomarse said:
Nice list. I think 2 versions is the best way to go - alphabetised (useful for someone looking up something they dont know), and categorised.

Also - you missed one in the engine type lists.

B20 - how the B-type version of the B201 is often referred to. Has one camshaft and one idler shaft that drives the distributer and oil pump.
People like Elring use 'B20' in their listings.

and some more:

WI - water injection (wiki)

SOC - Saab owners club
PFS - Parts For Saabs

and i saw someone in the lounge the other day having to explain to a north american member what 'UKS' was:
UKS - UKsaabs (UK web forum)

I think you should add 'H type' and 'B type' as entries too (and link them to the wiki article). They are not strictly acronyms but i can see somebody who didnt know what they were trying to look them up as such.
Awesome. Keep 'em coming.

Hey, you're headed for the 5000 mark. What does that mean? Do you get a cookie or other prize? Where are you going to post #5k? It would be an honor if you posted it on this thread. :D But, you probably should do something more meaningful, like post it to your own thread.

Tomarse
Saab Lunatic

Car: '80 99T 2dr APC, '80 99GL LPG 2dr

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Steve Corgan said:
Awesome. Keep 'em coming.

Hey, you're headed for the 5000 mark. What does that mean? Do you get a cookie or other prize? Where are you going to post #5k? It would be an honor if you posted it on this thread. :D But, you probably should do something more meaningful, like post it to your own thread.
At 5000 posts I will gain access to all the secret forums that you normal people cant see.
All the moderators will also come round my house and after a small ceremony with drinks and nibbles they will present me with a special plaque commemorating my hard work. Can't wait! :cheesy:

·
Registered
801 Posts
O.M.B.L.M.M.T.T.G.T.S.B.I.O.P.O.A.S.V.C.N.H.T.

On My Back Losing My Mind Trying To Get The Second Bolt Into The Oil Return Pipe On A Sixteen Valve Classic Nine Hundred Turbo:p

Little bit tongue and cheek on that one, but I really like the idea of compiling an official list!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tomarse said:
At 5000 posts I will gain access to all the secret forums that you normal people cant see.
All the moderators will also come round my house and after a small ceremony with drinks and nibbles they will present me with a special plaque commemorating my hard work. Can't wait! :cheesy:
We must have a ceremony or something. A simultaneous toast to SAABS or Bentley something. Moments like these shouldn't come and go unnoticed. Or maybe we should send a gift to any significant others in your life, since it's obvious that you don't have much time to spend with them, posting your life away like you have.:roll:

Where would we go on this site to have a proper Toast to Tomarse? The Lounge? I've never been there before.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the category idea has legs, but I'd also suggest adding code AND decode lists, and cross-referencing the information.

So, that would be say 3 or 4 lists - code and decode, with reference to the category list(s) they belong to, and then category/sub-category list(s) with the decode and code against them.

Very rough idea at this link here

There would be any number of other entries under the sub-category or category lists of course.

Also you would want another field for comments or additional info, of course.

What you are talking about ultimately is a database, and I see merit in having all of this hyperlinked on a web page or two (with a simple database behind it) and a search box function. As a part-time web designer I would be happy to help out if people thought it was worth it.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Matthew said:
Why not replicate the headings in the FAQ for these acronyms. Keeps it consistent.

I took the headings for the FAQ from the EPC IIRC so it's Saab approved ;)
Matthew,

That sounds great, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean :eek: ;oops: ). Do you mean to link to this list through a hyperlink in the FAQs?

Actually anything you wish to do that makes it available to SC users would really be a blessing and compliment.

I think that SilverSaab has some excellent, forward thinking, big ideas that we should give serious consideration. Just the thought developing that kind of database project excites me. Just tell me where to sign up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
grif900 said:
Steve the thread is already in the F.A.Q.s:cool:

Great!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts