SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read an article from townsend imports, stating that 10w-30 was better for the final drive than 80-90 gear oil? I know earlier posts stated that we could use 80w-90 but what exactly is more beneficial in the long run? I would be willing to use 10-30 synthetic motor oil if it came down to it versus a 80w-90 gear oil minus the EP factors, if it would allow better flow and more sufficient comtaminate control. Would the 10w-30 allow for better shifting and or more protection than the gear oil? Also what are the "shear factors" regarding the use of both oil in the final drive? I would be more inclined to think that the gear oil would provide more protection, even if it of the conventional type? What say you:confused: ? http://townsendimports.com/Web/transmission_folder/spovgearboxlube.htm

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Read about any oil for any part of a Saab, and you'll get conflicting advice all over the place from various people & sites. I think Jim said 80-90 was fine, so I'd go with that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I have seen quite of bit of conflicting info, although I must say, there also is a lot of clarifications too!
Albert Trout said:
Read about any oil for any part of a Saab, and you'll get conflicting advice all over the place from various people & sites. I think Jim said 80-90 was fine, so I'd go with that.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Albert Trout said:
I think Jim also said that gearboxes at a neighboring saab shop that only used gear oil in the trans didn't in general seem to last as long as the ones at his shop that used motor oil.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
I think Jim also said that gearboxes at a neighboring saab shop that only used gear oil in the trans didn't in general seem to last as long as the ones at his shop that used motor oil.
Pretty close.
I worked at dealers that used 75w gear oil and others that used 10w-30 motor oil (both are approved) in the manual transmissions. My observation was the motor oil transmissions lasted longer.
In the final drive portion of an automatic, you can use either gear oil or motor oil. It doesn't matter much which you use, they never give any trouble.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Jim! :)
Jim Mesthene said:
Pretty close.
I worked at dealers that used 75w gear oil and others that used 10w-30 motor oil (both are approved) in the manual transmissions. My observation was the motor oil transmissions lasted longer.
In the final drive portion of an automatic, you can use either gear oil or motor oil. It doesn't matter much which you use, they never give any trouble.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
91900turbo said:
I just read an article from townsend imports, stating that 10w-30 was better for the final drive than 80-90 gear oil? I know earlier posts stated that we could use 80w-90 but what exactly is more beneficial in the long run? I would be willing to use 10-30 synthetic motor oil if it came down to it versus a 80w-90 gear oil minus the EP factors, if it would allow better flow and more sufficient comtaminate control. Would the 10w-30 allow for better shifting and or more protection than the gear oil? Also what are the "shear factors" regarding the use of both oil in the final drive? I would be more inclined to think that the gear oil would provide more protection, even if it of the conventional type? What say you:confused: ? http://townsendimports.com/Web/transmission_folder/spovgearboxlube.htm

Isn't that article regarding primarily manual trans?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yes, its in the first sentence of the article.
91900turbo - all the fuss on these forums about gearbox oil is for manual transmissions. Basically we are trying to do whatever we can to preserve the manual gearboxes. Auto transmissions do not self destruct on the c900 in the same fashion. My advice would be to drive the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
philb said:
My advice would be to drive the car and enjoy it.
I agree.
SAABs don't die from lack of, nor are they preserved by, constant fiddling with or changing/flushing various fluids.
All the advice from the self-educated lubrication engineers and fuel system additive experts on Bob is the Oil Guy, or other forums, won't extend the life of your SAAB by a single day.
C900 SAABs don't have lubrication problems with any of their components. They also do not suffer from fuel system or intake valve deposits. Some cars have sludge and deposit problems, SAAB c900s don't.
Stop buying additives and compulsively changing fluids.
Drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
I agree.
SAABs don't die from lack of, nor are they preserved by, constant fiddling with or changing/flushing various fluids.
All the advice from the self-educated lubrication engineers and fuel system additive experts on Bob is the Oil Guy, or other forums, won't extend the life of your SAAB by a single day.
C900 SAABs don't have lubrication problems with any of their components. They also do not suffer from fuel system or intake valve deposits. Some cars have sludge and deposit problems, SAAB c900s don't.
Stop buying additives and compulsively changing fluids.
Drive and enjoy.
That is probably the best advice I've heard.Over the years I have probably caused more harm to my car than good,by tinkering with it all the time.Broken this,broken that.It seems that I had(have) an OCD about fooling with it all the time.Right now it is running,handling,everything just fine.But I'm constantly thinking,what should I do to it?A really great Saab mechanic once told me,that the car would be much better off,if I would leave it the h*#l alone.:eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I can understand your point. And your correct, however all that I generally seek is some educated Saab dialogue, just like this. :nono; Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to become fanatical over gear oil. I just never really encountered a front wheel drive car that had a final drive inclusion with a special compartment for gear oil, except to a 4x4 Subaru turbo s.w., that I once owned. You see the corporate world dislikes it when DIY/consumers become educated, and creative. I commend the Saab techs on the board too! They especially bring a wealth of info/ in addition to years of experience, to the forums!! Every vehicle is different, this is my very first Saab and second turbo in addition to one of several vehicles (american/import), and despite being very mechanically inclined:cheesy: , I like to keep an open mind while applying good common sense, especially when it comes to a specific vehicle that I am not too familiar with. That article on townsend imports just showed how inconsistent some things could be, however what I most admire is veteran Saab owners like yourself and others who instantly clarify any obselete discrepancies, and or myths. Again, I just opt for a general Saab education, thats all. I am very meticulous when it comes to maintanence and the care of my vehicles, however I like to keep it simple and routine. All of the responses on the board have been great! Thanks again!:)

Best Regards:D

philb said:
Yes, its in the first sentence of the article.
91900turbo - all the fuss on these forums about gearbox oil is for manual transmissions. Basically we are trying to do whatever we can to preserve the manual gearboxes. Auto transmissions do not self destruct on the c900 in the same fashion. My advice would be to drive the car and enjoy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts