SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I am driving down the highway and all of a sudden a peice of ice the size of my hood flies off a tractor trailer truck and smashed my bumper and a little of the hood headlight etc etc. The plate on the truck was covered in salt... couldnt even make out the state. I got the cd# and the how is my driving phone number.. they are just a 3rd party who forwards the info to the company individual companies. They cant release any info on the truck they said.. I cant get a plate number from them or even the name of the company... So now I am responsible for all the damage.. anyone know what I can do? BTw having standing ice or snow on a roof is illegal in Ma. I think it might be everywhere but i'm not too sure.. anyone know how i can track down the info on the truck company. The driver clearly knew it happened and ignored me when I tried to get them to stop. Slowed down to about 50 on the highway when I was trying to get behind them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
first off, call the police. if you don't have or get a police report filed, you're up sihts creek for sure.

After that - ask for a manager at the "how's my driving" center, don't take no for an answer.

I had a similar deal when a construction co left a large pothole in the road surface with no markings etc. bent a strut and my wheel and I was able to get them to pay because there were several reports of the pothole filed with the police.

worst case scenario - comprehensive insurance should cover it (deductible should be less than colision). Good luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had something similar happen to me, but it was a very large piece of mud that fell off a truck and hit the hood of my car and winshield.

I think you should make a police report.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Absolutely, since it's illegal for trucks to have snow/ice on the top of the truck they're in violation of the law. Let the police deal with the trucking company. Since they were breaking the law, they should pay the entire bill. Why should you take the hit on your insurance? The only problem now is proof.

Good luck. Don't let them get away with that stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this happened to me with a minivan a piece of ice flew off last year and smashed my headlight on my 06 jeep grand cherokee got the plate number and the state police (happened on highway) told me there was nothing they could do because it was my word against hers but they said if I file a report they would contact her but nothing else. My insurance covered it but I was stuck with the ded. they tried to put it as an at fault accident which was quickly changed with a phone call. It sucks that it is the law to clean off your vehicles but they do nothing about it....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was lucky, I made a big deal to the company that owned the truck... enough of a big deal that they sent an insurance adjuster to see the damage. Got an $800 Check.

I now carry a disposable camera in both my and my wife's car. Easily accessible... Just in case...

·
Banned
631 Posts
seiplax said:
I was lucky, I made a big deal to the company that owned the truck... enough of a big deal that they sent an insurance adjuster to see the damage. Got an $800 Check.

I now carry a disposable camera in both my and my wife's car. Easily accessible... Just in case...
its nice that you got a "cheque" for $800. But most accident reports normally have to be $500 or greater.

If you were to catch the name of the tractor trailors company / 3rd party. You could simply call them ask for customer service and tell them what happened.

"hows my driving" there is normally a listed number as well there you can call. You can normally go right to the source of the accident instead of going right to your insurance company.

Ive gone right to the companies before and got a quick settlement without going through the insurance company :)

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
it was 2700 dollars worth of damage and the trucking company is now saying i cannot prove it was from thier vehicle
I think you are in a he said/she said situation. Comprehensive will cover you for flying debris (minus the deductible). Just don't tell them anything hit the road before it hit your car.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah i am they will cover it i am just trying to recoup the deductible from the trucking company but they are being impossible..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This is a tough situation. You really might just have to just pay the deductible, get it fixed, and put it behind you. I'd seriously recommend discussing the matter with your insurance agent.

But in the end, the truck is gone and you don't have a plate. You have no third-party witnesses. Since the police weren't involved at the time of the accident, I don't know if they can help much. Perhaps they can file a hit-and-run report. Perhaps you could have called the police while you were following the truck? That's about the only thing I can think of that you should have done.

Is it really completely the truck driver's fault? How closely were you following the truck when that ice fell off? The trucking company could make the argument that you were following too close, which in itself is a traffic violation on your part. I don't intend to sound like a jerk. I'm just playing devils advocate.

I had something similar happen several years ago when a big rock-hauling truck dropped a chunk of rock off the back that hit the pavement then bounced up and cracked my windshield. Didn't get a plate (covered with dust), and being young and stupid I didn't call the police. My insurance policy had a zero-deducatble on glass breakage, so it didn't cost me anything to have repaired. But my agent said there really wasn't any recourse since the police weren't on scene to file a report, not witnesses, etc. Just as you say, 'your word against theirs'.

Good luck. I do sincerely hope you get it resolved. It would be nice to hear a trucking company 'step up to the plate' and take care of it for you, but if you have no proof that it was them, I doubt they would.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YAh i wasnt even in the same lane it just flew off and spun around and smashed into my car.. I was in the lane to the left... I am going to fight with everyone that I can because my deductible plus rental out of my pocket is not going to happen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts