SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an accident in my 99' 9-5 during one of the seemingly endless heavy snowfalls this year. While slowly going down a hill at perhaps 1-5 mph I lost all traction and began to slide, I was terrified how quickly I began to gain momentum. After what seemed a long time, though most likely measured in seconds, I decided that as opposed to trying to make it to the bottom (which was maybe 300 yards and only became steeper) I would steer off the road. The fact that either side of the street was lined with trees was not the problem, the problem was that the tree I hit was a cherry tree. For anyone not familiar with what they look like they do not grow straight up but more so at a 45 degree angle. So at maybe 15-20 mph I hit the tree. My bumper was literally untouched, unfortunately when the corner of my hood took the impact it was forced downwards and blew out both my headlight and turn signal housings.

So the advice I seek is actually more in the form of a few (any) educated guesses. I apologize I have no way of uploading pictures, I realize how much that would help. Obviously both assemblies require replacement and the damage to the hood is bad but completely isolated to the area just above both housings. Any guess as to how much the bill might be, anything at all would be greatly appreciated. My other concern is as follows; I have the full comprehensive insurance package with a $500 deductible and my car, despite being immaculate inside and out, has 180,000 miles. A friend of mine suggested insurance might total it, I do not understand how that could be true. Is this really possible?

Thank you, Scott

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The reason the insurance company may total it is because it is 11 years old and has close to 200 K on it. It doesn't have much resale value, thus, they will only cover a few thousand for repairs. If the repairs exceed the value of the car, they will total it.

If your insurance co totals it, you can buy it back from the insurance co and fix it yourself(or someone you know), but it will have a salvage title.

For a car of this value, a salvage title is not bad as long as you keep pictures of the damage to show any potential buyer.

If the damage is only the hood and headlight/turnsignals, you can pick up these parts at a scrap yard and have the local body shop paint it for you. That will keep costs down.

I noticed that you are from Philly. Did this happen in Manyunck?(sp)
Good Luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A couple of months ago we hit a deer with our 9-5 and it did almost exactly what yours did. The front of the hood crinkled down a bit and both headlight and turn signal assemblies were destroyed. We didn't have full coverage, so filing an insurance claim wasn't really an option, so I never got an official estimate. I ended up getting used healight and turn signal assemblies from folks here on the site (thanks to those involved). I do know from looking around, new parts are a bit pricey. The damage on mine was on the driver side, I assume yours is on the pass side. From what I remember the pass side headlight was a little more expensive for whatever reason. I would say $300 for headlight assy, $60 for turn signal assy. The hood could vary, I would say, 300-400 but that's probably unpainted. Depending on the color of your car, you may be able to get a good one cheap from a junkyard. If all that's damaged is lights and hood, I would think with all new parts you're looking at $1000-$1500 parts and labor. Like I said I never got an actual estimate, so I could be way off. I would imagine blue book for your car is somewhere around 3-4K so I can't imagine insurance wanting to total it.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Ouch! I know how terrifying it is to slide down a hill in snow/ice. I did in the 9-5 two days ago but all I hit was the curb with my front passenger side tyre which probably f'ed up my Ball Joint or Tie Rod a little but I will check when the snow thaws as its still icey and unsafe to use a jack on the ground just now. Still drives, steers and brakes so its good enough for me.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do live in Manayunk and would have guessed the exact same if I were you but it actually happened in Gladwyne. Thank you all, it is good to know that I am not the only one.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I

I have the full comprehensive insurance package with a $500 deductible and my car, despite being immaculate inside and out, has 180,000 miles. A friend of mine suggested insurance might total it, I do not understand how that could be true. Is this really possible?

Thank you, Scott
I do live in Manayunk and would have guessed the exact same if I were you but it actually happened in Gladwyne. Thank you all, it is good to know that I am not the only one.
Sounds like it coudl be a total, have a body shop look at it before the insurance look it it and tell you That way you will know because the insurance company will only do teh repairs proper you can ask the hsop guy how much if no insurance, they generally tend to be cheapoer that way and will cut corners that the insurance comany mihgt not ( like repair not rep;lcae the hood.

If the bill 1500 sounds like it might work and if they say is worth 3000 you are good.

I did this and got the insurance company cut me a chekc for the repairs 6K had the work and more done at a seperate palce for jsut about 8K, the insureance woudl have totlaed it for that amount instead I got a freshly custom painted car ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Icy Havoc....

1999 Saab 9-5 with 180 k Blue book is about $1500. Therefore, insurance company will definitely write it off.
If the engine etc. is good, worth putting it back together.
I know a wrecker in Connecticut is selling all what you need from a 1999 ..hood, lights etc.
Check on E-bay ...the name is TOM'S Foreign Auto Parts, Waterbury, Ct.
1-800-973 5506.

Hope this helps.

My Saabs...1985 900, 2001 9-3, 2003 9-5 Wagon 2.3lt.
Like Saabs but it is not put together like my Volvo XC70.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Ya I neutral wouldn't do you any good. pretty much don't panic make slow easy steering adjustments and biggest thing is not to brake more but to let off so the car will continue in a straight line verses sliding sideways or spinning. Observing the last few snow falls we got here in DFW there are many here that have not figured that out yet, I actually enjoy watching the whole event unravel on the roadways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, this has all been the type of advice I was looking for. I am trying to avoid a total at all costs. I don't suppose the fact that it is an 9-5 SE would add some value?

Thanks again to all, Scott

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If you need a hood, I have a spare silver one. Not perfect, a few dings etc., but it's yours gratis if you need or want it. It's off my 99 9-5. I'm 10 min ouside of philly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is great news, thank you! I will keep your message saved for when I have the estimate done. I know Haddonfield, my Father is from Cherry Hill.
Thanks again, Scott

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
They probably won't total it without frame and/or engine damage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Making progress, slowly...

Ok so I have a potential hood if necessary (thank you LEP3!). What should I expect to pay for a used turn signal assembly (I noticed they are roughly $100 new) and a used front right headlight assembly (I can't even find them new, only the lens), anyone have any suggestions?

Grateful as always, Scott

*I find out if my Saab mechanic can do the body work tomorrow (fingers crossed), he does excellent work and is extremely inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I was recently running deliveries in an intense blizzard (like 5" an hour, insane). My tires suck and when I touched the brakes I instantly began to slide. About an hour of nearly skidding through every redlight I came on, I found if I eased my handbrake my car actually stopped! Now when it snows, I always keep a hand on my ebrake and I cant imagine doing it any other way. I guess it helps the fronts to catch grip if the rears are subtracting some of the braking force. The weight of our cars I think caused a very front biased braking design. :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts