SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. first I would like to comment how great this forum is and it's helped me a lot so far. (who'd have thought you would need the emer brake on to put the top down!!)

Second, I have a couple of questions:
I test drove my 89 900 turbo conv yesterday and off the line it was dead sluggish and eventually when it reached over 40mph it seemed better and was fine once the turbo kicked in.. this was at normal operating temp also. I didn't drive it much as it isn't registered, but I wanted to know how it was going to be before I put it on the road. It had the acceleration of a moped at a dead stop.

when cold at idle it seems to idle ok, but stepping on the gas it hesitates badly to the point of a monster dead spot anywhere on the throttle. once its warmed up, it improves, but is still slow to ramp up rpm's. I checked the amm, tps,vac leaks and they are ok. The AIC measures ok, but i'm not sure how to clean it. suggestions will be helpful.. if I squeeze the hose to the manifold it will stall, so it seems to be working ok.

I just did cap/plugs/wires so that should be ok. It may need better gas, but i can't imagine it would make this drastic an effect on performance.

oh by the way, this is an 89 convertible turbo, and i can't find the LH connector to pull codes. I had the console out where the radio is and I didn't see the connector to test with. I have the bentley manual, but now i'm confused. I don't see it under the rear seat either.. the check engine light has been off, but i've seen it flash while pulling sensors so i want to clear it out.

and finally, if anyone has a coolant tank cap that they don't want i'll pay shipping to have it sent to me. I lost mine in the process of working on the car and i'll be damned if I can find it..

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
To clean the AIC valve, undo the hoses attached to it and spray carb cleaner right through the valve. This will clear out a lot of muck, and then you can give it a shot of WD40. My car wouldn't idle at all, and stalled as soon as I took my foot off the gas. I had cleaned the AIC already, but this time I pulled the plug off the back and WD40'd the connections. This cured it. There's more detail on AIC cleaning here.

When you say you checked the AMM and it was OK, how did you check it? Swap it with a known good one? One thing the 89's are notorious for is dodgy ECU's. There's a link from Townsend here which is worth looking at (and saving if you want to use it). There was a thread on 89 ECU's recently here.

I'm not pedantic enough to insist on you putting an ad in the Classifieds for the coolant cap. But you could try a junkyard. Failing that, I'm sure eeuroparts would have one cheap.

·
4,637 Posts
john1732 said:
who'd have thought you would need the emer brake on to put the top down!!
Well, they say you shouldn't raise or lower the top unless you're stopped. Requiring the brake light on kinda ensures that. That said, I've raised the top in slow traffic at times by pulling up the brake just a notch or two...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry I should have clarified..

I believe its a LH2.4 system. unless I am mistaken this is what the Bentley manual led me to believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey,

i also have an '89 900 T and live near buffalo.

i was just at clinton auto parts / salvage and they have an '89 and also a '91 or '92. i'm pretty sure you could find a good coolant cap there. i can't remember for sure if there was one on those cars, but it's worth a shot. they're # is 856.3016 (i just had to go there yesterday).

there is also J & J's salvage. they're near clinton and they also should have a cap. they used to have a decent amount of slaabs.

both of those places are around bailey/clinton/fillmore.

i'm not sure if this is any help, but i just had a failed ECU. i was at Clinton to buy one from their '89. my car would not start at all. i'm not sure if what's happening with yours is a failing ECU that's on it's way out or not. my car ran fine and then one day it just wouldn't start. there were no symptoms leading up to it.

in any event, good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Matthew said:
Ah, I had been thinking that LH2.4 came in for MY90 onwards.
In the US, we got LH 2.4 in model year 1988--because the Government mandated OBD 1 (On-Board Diagnostic, generation 1) trouble-code storage on all cars sold from then on. This was intended to help owners/mechanics diagnose emissions problems.

A new generation, OBD 2, was required by law from MY 1996. Instead of being "sniffed" by an exhaust gas analyzer at testing time, OBD 2 cars just have their ECM (what we call an ECU) read by a computer to pick up trouble codes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jezzadee said:
One thing the 89's are notorious for is dodgy ECU's. There's a link from Townsend here which is worth looking at (and saving if you want to use it). There was a thread on 89 ECU's recently here.
That townsend link doesn't work anymore. I'm wishing I had printed it out rather than saving it. Now I can't test the unit. I remember looking at it and it was pretty thorough.

I cleaned and lubed the bosch aic valve as best I could. It still stalls and hunts for idle when its cold. Maybe the AMM or ECU is to blame here.

i'm trying to avoid buying ECU and AMM cuz I don't want to guess. just frustrating is all. once its warmed up it runs acceptable. occasionally it will fall on its face during acceleration, but I can live with it for now.

if anyone has that townsend link or a copy that works, please forward it to me [email protected].
thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got it. thank you very much

it lists out tests for the 2.2 bosch 005 but I have the 2.4 bosch 013. hopefully the tests are close

1 - 12 of 12 Posts