SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the engine hesitation, "knocking," vibrating, terrible feeling my car would encounter under harder accelerations (10psi or greater boost created) was definitely due to spark plug blowout. I have never regapped my new NGK's when I did my engine swap this past Christmas, so when I took out the plugs this weekend I was not surprised to see them at 0.05" gap. WAY TOO MUCH. Regapped them to 0.035" without damaging the plugs, reinstalled, done. Smooth, hesitation free power at any boost level.

We'll keep it at 20 psi for now...

Thanks to Ron and everyone else that suggested this fix. Another success!

;ol;

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The XXXXXX-11 ones do, supposedly a 1.1mm gap ~ 0.0044".
Doug, not that it makes much difference but for Stage 3 (~20PSI) 0.0032" is the recommended gap.
I never knew this, but I actually gapped to ≈0.033" because I figured the smaller the gap the better. This way I knew at worst I was at 0.035". I think you're off a sig-fig there :lol:

Thanks for the info though, I have never read of stage tuning gap sizes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also,

I got some super duper iridium plugs when I bought plugs because they were the only NGKs available at the time at my parts store.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I never knew this, but I actually gapped to ≈0.033" because I figured the smaller the gap the better. This way I knew at worst I was at 0.035". I think you're off a sig-fig there :lol:

Thanks for the info though, I have never read of stage tuning gap sizes.
Oops, lol. Yeah I think the difference of 0.003" is so tiny you wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm currently studying for the LSAT, so I can attest to the fact that assuming anything of moderate importance is always a horrible idea. :cheesy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Doug, I feel your pain. Oddly, I got a new job which means I have to cancel my June 11 LSAT and eat the registration fee as I'm past the change date.

Good luck on the test, everyone tells me not to study much the days prior to the test because ultimately your reasoning skills will prevail and you need to be calm.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Doug, I feel your pain. Oddly, I got a new job which means I have to cancel my June 11 LSAT and eat the registration fee as I'm past the change date.

Good luck on the test, everyone tells me not to study much the days prior to the test because ultimately your reasoning skills will prevail and you need to be calm.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I had actually signed up for the June 11 test but paid the $80 to reschedule it to the Oct. 6th test. I really only want to take it once and by October I should prepared to kill it. Hope you can do the same, good luck!

Also, I think its generally the consensus to take it easy on studying on the days immediately preceding the test, for the exact reasons you stated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts