SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AC vibrations

When I start the car and turn the air condition on after some seconds I can feel strange vibrations from the front of the car. The vibrations sometimes come and go in waves (4 secs of vibrations, OK for 3 secs and then again).
They stop if I press the ECON button on.

Can anyone think of what that might be & what to fix?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hey,

My 99 9-3se does this exact same thing. It's not a huge vibration, but a rattle that is audiable. WHen i bought the car at 104k it had this issue. According to owners records, a new ACC was fitted like, 20k prior, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lemon.

I belive it to be either the ACC pully or my mechanic told me that the acc compressor has some sort of 'clutch' system. I could be wrong about this last part, but all I know is that when I get in the car, I' just constantly hit the ECON button.

I'll take it apart this summer and see what the deal is. ACC isn't a HUGE deal to me, so I may try to just find a way to remove the ACC from the entire serp. belt system.

Good luck, write back if you replace something and figure it out!

peace,
bny

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just really like to find out which ACC part to replace in this situation ... my mechanic seems to be lost here too.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I too have something similar. Mine is more a whin. My a/c is not working right now but even if i set the temp at 78 i still have the noise unless i hit the econ button.

That brings me to my a/c problem. The a/c was not blowing too cold last week. So I tested the pressure and sure enough it was low on refrigerant. So I filled the system to the correct pressure and I had nice and cold air. But after about 30 minutes of driving it got warm again. Well when I stopped to test the pressure it had shot up very high. I drove the rest of the way home (from nc to nj) without a/c. I got home and emptied the system and refilled it. And again I got cold air but after about 30 minutes back to warm and the pressure shot up again. Do you have any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
perhaps, and this is a perhaps...

your refridgerant is leaking out into the atmosphere....

And then the warmer air/atmisphere is going back INTO the system (somehow), and since it's warmer air, it's expanding and causing high pressure readings?

strange,but just a theory...

peace,
bny

·
Registered
867 Posts
Your problem might be a bad expansion valve. I have a similar groaning noise when the A/C is on and not much cooling power. The low side pressure measures very high so I thought the system might be overcharged. Releasing some of the refridgerant didn't improve the situation so the next thing to look at that causes high pressures is the expansion valve.

All this happened last summer and I haven't needed the A/C through the winter so I'm just getting back into it. When I bought the car the low speed on the radiator fan wasn't working and I suspected that this could have caused the A/C to overheat. I fixed the low speed fan by replacing a bad resistor as described in an old 9000 service bulletin. My local salvage yard doesn't have any NG900s so I just used a similar resistor from a Chevy Cavalier.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let's be a little clearer, maybe help others to follow this thread:

The term 'ACC' with respect to NG900's stands for Automatic Climate Control. It is the fancier pushbutton climate control unit many NG900's have, as opposed to the simpler manual controls with dials and a button or two. The ACC as a unit is a computerized dashboard component, plus a series of motorized vents and such inside the dash. Whether you have air conditioning does not depend on whether you have the ACC or the manual controls. Replacing the ACC generally refers to replacing this dash component.

A/C is the standard abbreviation for 'air conditioning'. If we're talking in this thread about the air conditioning system, it would be A/C, not ACC.

Not trying to be overly anal, but using the standard terms should help avoid a lot of confusion.

Regards,
T

PS -- I have occasional grinding noises exsctly as Grega described above, which start and then go away within about fifteen minutes of starting up the car. Like Brewtide, I can kill the noise by switching to the Econ setting. Looking forward to what you find out, Brew. I'm hoping it's not the A/C compressor wanting replacement...

·
12,576 Posts
Bit of a shot in the dark, perhaps if the A/C compressor is OK but what if one of the tension/ilder pulleys is past it best? this can set up oscillations along the serpentine belt that can be felt, take tension off the belt and check pulley condition [all pulleys whilst you're there]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got my car back, because it was leaking oil and I had it repaired.

The mechanic also took a look at my A/C vibrations, that stop when I puch button ECON. He told me my A/C compressor is damaged and that the best thing (cheapest) is to replace it with another used one. I got a feeling he doesn't have a clue either what exactly is wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts