SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Turn the key to accessory, set it how you want, turn it back off - should come on the same way at each start. Doesn't work for the OFF position so I set mine to no fan and ECON.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I've tried numerous things and mine still reverts back after 10 minutes. I finally gave up. One of the most annoying features in the car. Like were they thinking people are too lazy to turn it on if they want it on? :roll: I absolutely hate it. Especially if the cars been sitting awhile, I don't want the strain on the electrical system. And it makes the car struggle with idling until the engine has warmed up. Why the European cars insist on making complicated heater/AC controls is beyond me. Give me an ON, OFF, AC ON, AC OFF, then a TEMP control and I'm happy. This dumb thing has you holding 2 buttons for 10 seconds, wait for the chime, turn off car, wait 10 minutes to see if it set or not, if it doesn't set, then try again, wait another 10 minutes,:confused:. After watching the Top Gear episode on Saabs, seems I'm, not the only one who scratches their head at some of the useless or irritating features in our cars like reverse to get the key out, the useless night driving feature that makes running out of gas or overheating not available for the driver to see. Most cars just let you dim the lights all the way which makes more sense. As someone who has 100's of thousands of miles of night driving under his belt, I never once thought gee, the dash lights are too distracting, wish I could turn them off. If you can tell, the topic of my ACC never taking the program has me a little worked up :eek:

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I've tried numerous things and mine still reverts back after 10 minutes. I finally gave up. One of the most annoying features in the car. Like were they thinking people are too lazy to turn it on if they want it on? :roll: I absolutely hate it. Especially if the cars been sitting awhile, I don't want the strain on the electrical system. And it makes the car struggle with idling until the engine has warmed up. Why the European cars insist on making complicated heater/AC controls is beyond me. Give me an ON, OFF, AC ON, AC OFF, then a TEMP control and I'm happy. This dumb thing has you holding 2 buttons for 10 seconds, wait for the chime, turn off car, wait 10 minutes to see if it set or not, if it doesn't set, then try again, wait another 10 minutes,:confused:.
Actually I think its quite a cleaver system, you can set the default to whatever you want (i.e. I can set it for warm defrost in the winter so when I start the car I dont have to worry about messing with the controls when I run inside), If I run in the store for a few mins it will remember where I had it and ignore the default so if today is unseasonably warm or cold I don't have to worry about overiding the default and I just set it to the temperature that I wont and never mess with it.
After watching the Top Gear episode on Saabs, seems I'm, not the only one who scratches their head at some of the useless or irritating features in our cars like reverse to get the key out, the useless night driving feature that makes running out of gas or overheating not available for the driver to see.
Each gauge will turn on even in night mode if they start to reach a critical level.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Actually I think its quite a cleaver system, you can set the default to whatever you want (i.e. I can set it for warm defrost in the winter so when I start the car I dont have to worry about messing with the controls when I run inside)
The more recent Ford/Lincolns I've owned had dedicated buttons and it'd just stay where you left it. Meaning if heat was set to floor and you shut it off, it would still keep that setting once back on as well as the temp and fan speed you selected unless Auto was selected. The Saab system of pressing 2 buttons and waiting for beep, then having to wait 10 minutes to see if it set your command is not clever. Clever would of been a sub-screen menu with actual settings that were clear what was being set. I've tried pressing the auto on command I want turned off by pressing whatever is on along with the off button (which they didn't even label "off" :roll:) waiting 10 sec. Here the beep and a message, wait 10 minutes then it reverts. HATE IT. That and the LEDs are missing :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is it really that hard just to press off every time you turn on your car? If you want to keep the exact settings you had when you last shut the car off the MCC is very good at that. :cheesy: To the OP your best bet is setting it to turn on in ECON mode (if that is possible), when in ECON mode the system will still blow air but it wont run the AC compressor.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The more recent Ford/Lincolns I've owned had dedicated buttons and it'd just stay where you left it. Meaning if heat was set to floor and you shut it off, it would still keep that setting once back on as well as the temp and fan speed you selected unless Auto was selected. The Saab system of pressing 2 buttons and waiting for beep, then having to wait 10 minutes to see if it set your command is not clever. Clever would of been a sub-screen menu with actual settings that were clear what was being set. I've tried pressing the auto on command I want turned off by pressing whatever is on along with the off button (which they didn't even label "off" :roll:) waiting 10 sec. Here the beep and a message, wait 10 minutes then it reverts. HATE IT. That and the LEDs are missing :(
I think you must have faulty unit, my off button is labelled off, I have no missing pixels and it works just like it should, no need to worry about waiting 10 mins, if you do it like instructed in the manual and everything is functioning right (I wouldn't consider it an engineering flaw if you have a problem that hasn't been fixed) then it will just work.
While newer cars may be superior you have to remember this design is now almost 20 years old, think of your computer or cell phone from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I forget the key presses, but there's a way to set the default ignition on setting for the ACC unit.

Basically, you set the unit how you'd like it, press a pair of buttons on the ACC unit and then turn the car off for 10 minutes or more.

Works like a champ.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I can set what comes on like the rear defrost after looking in the manual, but getting the unit to stay "OFF" when the car starts has been elusive. I just don't want the ACC coming on every time the car starts and nothing I've tried apparently works, which I'm assuming the OP was trying to get an answer for as well. As for the Lincoln, it was 3 years older than my 9-3.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I too scratched my head when I kept starting the 98 900 and the ac was on every time. But the brilliant other ideas makes up for it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
To program the ACC from page 86 in the owners manual:

The manual selections you have made can be saved so that the ACC system always starts up on these selections every time the ignition is switched on. But notice that the ignition must have been off for at least 10 minutes before you try out the saved setting.
1 Select the desired settings.
2 Press "ECON" + "UP FAN BUTTON" at the same time.
(The ACC background lighting flashes to confirm that the information
has been stored.)

The system will memorize this new program 10 minutes after the
key is shut off.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

The manual selections you have made can be saved so that the ACC system always starts up on these selections every time the ignition is switched on. But notice that the ignition must have been off for at least 10 minutes before you try out the saved setting.
has been stored.)

key is shut off.
Right, what exactly does that program though? Think the OP (as well as myself) want to know how to STOP the ACC from turning on every time the car starts. I'm tempted to buy a switch from a junker to put next to the heated seat switch and wire it to the power wire of the ACC. Problem solved!

·
Registered
742 Posts
They probably didn't think anyone who actually paid extra to have climate control would want to default it to OFF. It's been run constantly since day one of owning my car. (only turned it off recently due to the blower motor controller going bonkers, due to dry solder joints) Wouldn't drive a car without now.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
They probably didn't think anyone who actually paid extra to have climate control would want to default it to OFF. It's been run constantly since day one of owning my car. (only turned it off recently due to the blower motor controller going bonkers, due to dry solder joints) Wouldn't drive a car without now.
I know people like my Grandmother would of refused to buy the car if that feature made it mandatory to turn on every time the car started. It's ABSURD that there's no option to prevent it from coming on with the car. And even more absurd you guys defend it. Seriously, unless you have remote start (which would only be able to be put on an automatic car) there's no reason for it to blow hot air for 10 minutes when the car starts or cold air in the winter until the engine warms up enough to actually produce heat. Is this the Twilight Zone or something? WTF, people will defend anything. Car could smell like 5H1T from the factory and people would be on here saying "Oh, it's not that bad really, I'm used to it", :( or "If it smelled any different, it wouldn't be a Saab", :x or how about "Well, I grew up in a barn so it reminds of my childhood". :eek: Seriously WTF.

·
Registered
834 Posts
^^ Just pull the fuse for it if you don't want it coming on… Or look into to retrofitting the MCC instead?

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
^^ Just pull the fuse for it if you don't want it coming on… Or look into to retrofitting the MCC instead?

Good luck!
The MCC isn't a direct fit. I already looked into it. Would be a major job and need a donor car on hand. Also, "ACC" is on many cars but you get the option to leave it off if you want it off. I know I've had girl friends who'd whine if the heat was on as they get too warm, etc. Just dumbfounds me what people just accept and defend as "OK".:nono;

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Seriously, unless you have remote start (which would only be able to be put on an automatic car) there's no reason for it to blow hot air for 10 minutes when the car starts or cold air in the winter until the engine warms up enough to actually produce heat. Is this the Twilight Zone or something?
It sounds to me like your ACC system isn't working properly. Mine never turns the fan up in the winter until the engine's heated up enough for it to blow hot air. In the summer it can blow fairly hard, but if I turn the system off, it heats up in a big hurry and turns into a sweatbox with no fan. The system has several temperature sensors that it uses to determine how to work, and one of yours may not be working right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

has been stored.)

key is shut off.
I will give it a shot... Trust me this is a nice feature and I love just wanted to know if you can turn it off.. Seems like you should be able to disable it, but not a problem i will just set my desired settings and go with it..
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts