SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I drive a 1987 9000 and I just "fixed the blower motor for the heat and air conditioning. The ground going into the blower motor was bad, so I removed the lead from it's little plastic harness and grounded it elsewhere. Now, however, when I turn on the car the fan blows only at its highest speed regardless of the buttons pressed on the ACC unit itself.
I have several other 9000s and I tried putting a different ACC unit into the dash, but the same thing happened. Any clue as to what happened?

Also, I'm looking into getting another saab. Maybe a convertable for the summer, but I'm worried that the saabs produced after the GM takeover won't have the life that the older ones do. Mine's well over 200k miles and still running strong. Are the newer ones still that reliable?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You may have bypassed the fan controller by error. This solid state thingummy uses a pair of resistors to permit three speeds plus full on. It is not repairable and a tad pricey to replace. Basically it uses a low resistance, a higher resistance and then the two resistances together to give you three variable reductions from full speed.

Of course if the controller fails completely it may not allow the fan to run unless you short it to ground which you might have done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts