SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loads of people have covered the SID pixel fix, but i found the ACC pixel fix to be a totally different procedure so here goes. Tools needed T6, 7, 8 torx bits, small flat blade screwdriver, polystyrene foam and a very sharp knife to cut the foam.




remove the screw either side of the casing, then remove the screw attached to the PCB on either side. using the small screwdriver undo the 4 plastic clips (2 top and 2 bottom).slowly slide the rear panel off the ACC unit


undo the 3 screws attaching the pcb to the front


slide the pcb out of the front of the ACC unit


here's the awkward bit, unclip the lower two tabs so the display hinges upwards, then insert some polystyrene foam about 4mm square by 7cm long into the gap of the ribbon connector


the foam is inserted in this picture and the lower tabs reconnected trapping the foam in the ribbon. re-assembly in reverse order.


poor picture i know, but the whole ACC display is now pixel perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Excellent thread Kermit, thanks :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
:D Can't thank you enough Kermit, it's worked a treat for me and saved a lot of money as well, as no need to replace it, (unlike the SID :( )
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50 Posts
Hey Kermit!

I did not try it yet, but I will try this fix. I wonder, what is the trick for the foam? Is it something chemical? Because obviously, it is a lot harder than the wheather strip.

thank you
(nice fingers) :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50 Posts
Kermit said:

here's the awkward bit, unclip the lower two tabs so the display hinges upwards, then insert some polystyrene foam about 4mm square by 7cm long into the gap of the ribbon connector


the foam is inserted in this picture and the lower tabs reconnected trapping the foam in the ribbon. re-assembly in reverse order.
You said INTO THE GAP OF THE RIBBON CONNECTOR, clarify please? I stick it where it rolls?or folds?
thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It goes through the ribbon connector like a surfer riding a tube. The theory is the ribbon connector is stretched around the piece of foam, which pulls the contact points on the PCD down and re-establishes any lost connection points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Newbie question

on my 1998 95 which i just bought and am very pleased with, i noticed that the word AUTO dos not display on the ACC control panel, is this the pixel fault mentioned above?

if so, this looks like a great fix, i did take the unit out to have a look to see if it was just a bulb, but couldn't get the 2 allen key type screws out inorder to remove the plastic house that stops you removing the bulb holders.

any idea what size allen key is need for that??

i look forward to some answers, as i can see you guys are a helpful bunch.

cheers

NJDav
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
NJDav said:
on my 1998 95 which i just bought and am very pleased with, i noticed that the word AUTO dos not display on the ACC control panel, is this the pixel fault mentioned above?

if so, this looks like a great fix, i did take the unit out to have a look to see if it was just a bulb, but couldn't get the 2 allen key type screws out inorder to remove the plastic house that stops you removing the bulb holders.

any idea what size allen key is need for that??

i look forward to some answers, as i can see you guys are a helpful bunch.

cheers

NJDav

have you tried pressing the auto button and turning auto on :confused: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
thanks for the quick replies guys.

and yes i have tried pressing the auto button, i may be new to a saab, i'm not new to button and light, and how they interact. lol

thanks for the tip about the tool kit in the boot, found, but it's no the right size torx driver, and yes i checked both end, they are all to big.

will try and get the correct torx bit and have another go.

all this help, but no one has actually confirmed if the word auto missing off the display is the pixel problem or not, all the other symbols etc work, just the word auto missing. did the 98 model even say auto on the display??

many thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50 Posts
NJDav said:
all this help, but no one has actually confirmed if the word auto missing off the display is the pixel problem or not, all the other symbols etc work, just the word auto missing. did the 98 model even say auto on the display??
many thanks
I had same problem, open the unit fiddle little bit (extremely gently) do what these people say or read other posts. My AUTO came back now. I also did the last fix as Kermit posted with that white foam thing. Everything is working now. That ribbon connction is never tight enough!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Gave this a go and I only got the second digit back on the left side of the display. Auto, degree's C, and the fan bars still not there. This does show that the idea does work, though in my case not all of the pixels are back.

Right side is OK.

May be I need to pack out the foam a bit more.

Or does anyone know someone who does repair these units by re-soldering. At a reasonable cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Kermit said:
I got mine from the packing of a DVD player, most electricals come cushioned in the box with it. ;)
Clever! the foam is basically the part that holds the dvd player or other electronic components in place right? This sounds like such a stupid question but I want to get it right!!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top