SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again all,

my saab is slowly but surely transforming into a gremlin.

over the past 1 year i have had the car i have had replaced:
clutch position sensor (fun!)
acc junk numerous times
tensioner pulley

and now i was driving normal and then the cold air quckly went to hot, humid, air

i almost to the parking lot when this occured, so i parked and my check engine light came on, .. then i heard a bad nosie like something unwhirling or like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel.

i stoped the car and turned it back on with the acc on, and it sounded terrible and then died.

i then started the car with the acc OFF and it started fine

just for fun, while it was running fine, i turned on the ACC and again came the nasty noise and i decided to turn it off before i break something.

i have too many college loans to pay off to keep dumping money into this car.

can anyone help (regarding car, not loans.. well both).

thanks,
mk;oops:

G

·
It could be your compressor. Turn the ACC on and press the "econ" button. This will shut down the compressor. If the noise stops, then you know it is your compressor. If it doesn't stop, it is something else.

You can still have heat, but you will lose the effectiveness of your defroster since that utilizes the compressor.

You can pick up used compressors if you need from scrap yards.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yep agreed could be siezed compressor bearings :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks yall!

i will try the "econ" thing and thanks fo rthe tip on the junkyard compressors.

the dealer quoted me 850$ for the part but the scrap yard had them from 99-300$, so quite a bit lower.

how do compressors seize? physical/mechanical fracture/failure? Too much stress/heat? I wasn't running a/c anymore than usual and it was moderate temp outside. hmmmm oh well.

anything wrong with running around with no compressor until next summer? i could probably use the increase in MPG anyway.

thanks again!

·
Registered
759 Posts
You may be interested in this one. I had a Mazda 626 (curvy one) which had done 80k miles. It had a similar issue with power steering pump. The previous owner had over tighened the belt and the bearing had worn. They do not do a kit for it so i was told it was 450 quid for the whole pump from the dealer. I got one from the scrap yard for 60.

Interestingly the dealer in the past 10 years had never had that problem on any 626 in all that time as they were so good.

Worth checking the tension in your belts.

hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting -- i just had my tensioner pulley replaced 3 weeks prior. what tool would i need to check the tension? what should it be at?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My car's compressor seized as a result of a leak in the system - no oil left for lubrication. A very expensive repair job. I could not find a aftermarket compressor, went with the real thing at $ 800, plus a lot of other stuff you need to replace along with a new compressor. Final cost with labor ended up around $ 1,500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts