SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought a new Saab after my '95 900 died a death i could not bring it back from. Now I have a 2002 93 SE. It has a few issues, one of which I would like to take care of ASAP. The ACC display is not working correctly (or at all). When I first turn the car on after sitting for a while, the ACC will alternately blink, turn on then turn the fan up on hi, blink off, display "00" in the upper left hand corner, go back to trying to work, then it will ultimately end up displaying "off" in about 15 seconds, and none of the buttons will bring it back to life. I tried recalibrating by holding down the "AUTO" and the "OFF" buttons, but that didn't work. Once when I was trying to recalibrate it showed an eror message of "22". In my searching on the forum to cure this issue I found someone else who has this issue, but I can't find that thread again!! I am looking for another ACC unit, but I am a bit concerned about dropping some cash on a used unit only to find that the issue is OUTSIDE of the unit.
I wish there was away to test the unit: put it in to a working saab and see if it works. THen, I would know to look for the problem in a sensor or something.
Help!
thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. It used to happen here and there, but it has become more much frequent. I read somewhere else that the software for the ACC unit is corrupted if you get a 22 fault code. I guess it is something that a dealership can "rewrite." There is no longer a Saab dealership in my area so I was thinking about calling the independent tech to see if it is something he can fix. I don't think that it is the ACC unit though. I have not been able to get a definite answer yet though as to the problem. Recalibrating it, as the owner's manual suggests, hasn't solved anything unfortunately. I have heard that you can allow this happen for quite a while and it won't actually affect anything, but if you're like me, it just starts to irritate you when your car isn't functioning properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am not able to use ANY of my climate control functions. NOTHING works. After a few seconds the display will just show "off" and none of the buttons will work. So, I need to fix this before we get in to the heat of summer.
I wish there was some way to test the ACC unit in another 2002 saab 9-3. Then, if it works correctly, I would know that it is not the ACC unit and I could focus on the other possibilities.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Personally, I would get the part number from the electronic parts catalog (EPC) then check eBay for a used ACC. There are some listed for $50 or so; much less than you would pay someone to test it. Some model years will work, and others will not. That's why you need to match the correct ACC unit fro your car... Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the part number. it is 50-47-600. and I have been checking around for a used one, but I didn't want to buy a used one and have the same issues. But you are right, it would be cheaper to do it that way than to pay a saab dealership to test it out. Maybe If i find a auto salvage yard nearby, they will let me test a "new" acc unit in my saab before I buy the unit.
With my luck, I think it is probably a sensor problem or something much deeper. I hope it is just an easy swap of the ACC unit, though!

·
Registered
213 Posts
That sounds much worse than mine. Mine will still function, it just periodically shuts down and shows the fault code. For example I took a 40 mile drive today and it didn't happen, but yesterday I drove for 5 minutes and it happened twice. I am under the impression the software might just need to be updated. However, I am sure it couldn't hurt to replace the entire unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed tonight too that the display does not dim with the dimmer or turn off when I depress the "night panel" button. it just shows the back lit "off" and none of the buttons do anything. It will be nice to get this fixed. right now my seat warmers are the only thing warming me on the brisk cool evening drives.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea ive got the problem where my acc unit doesnt work. It used to start and stop, now its always off. Im going to shell out the 155usd and pray that that is the only problem ive got

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the part number. it is 50-47-600. and I have been checking around for a used one, but I didn't want to buy a used one and have the same issues. But you are right, it would be cheaper to do it that way than to pay a saab dealership to test it out. Maybe If i find a auto salvage yard nearby, they will let me test a "new" acc unit in my saab before I buy the unit.
With my luck, I think it is probably a sensor problem or something much deeper. I hope it is just an easy swap of the ACC unit, though!

is ur problem with the ACC unit or maybe the acc fan control unit( part '50 45 158')? I dont get any sort of error code 22, i just have no control of AC, even when it reads high, i get little to no air.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is ur problem with the ACC unit or maybe the acc fan control unit( part '50 45 158')? I dont get any sort of error code 22, i just have no control of AC, even when it reads high, i get little to no air.
I am thinking (hoping) it is just the ACC unit. After is cycles thru trying to work (about a 15 second cycle) then it just stops and displays "OFF" on the lit screen. Then NONE of the buttons or functions will work. I tried pushing them all and nothing happens. So, I hope it just need a swap out of the ACC unit. If it is not the ACC unit then I will need to dig into sensors, and yes, the fan control unit among other components.
thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea ive got the problem where my acc unit doesnt work. It used to start and stop, now its always off. Im going to shell out the 155usd and pray that that is the only problem ive got
Let me know if the swap works!!!
thanks
Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts