SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - first time post! My wife's 2002 93 SE has developed a strange noise coming through the air vents.

The car has ACC so the blower fan is running nearly all the time. Sometimes, when the car goes over a bump in the road, a rotary whirring/chirping noise comes through vents - sounding louder on the left (drivers) side. If you increase/decrease the fan speed, the noise pitch/frequency does the same and if you hit the off button on the ACC the noise will go away. Once you hit another decent sized bump in the road, the noise will go away for a while.

I've already opened it up to get to the blower motor and have cleaned it all out. This didn't get rid of the noise though. I've also put my head by the small cabin air sensor fan and the noise doesn't seem to source from there either. I stumped on this..... anyone got any thoughts?

I appreciate any help.

Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fan noise

Hi,
I had / have the same problem with my 9-3, it turned out to be the bearings on the blower motor (under the cabin filter). I removed the motor blower/fan assembly and lightly lubricated both bearings. This stopped the noise for around 6-8 months but it eventually returned. I looked at fitting a new unit but at over £250 for the complete assembly i decided against it, i also considered a second hand unit from a breakers but again decided against it as my car only had 30k on it and the fan was noisey so i would need to get a car with less miles than mine to make sure that it would be ok.

In the end i decided to limit the fan noise with the volume control the stereo as it was never that intrusive and was only noticable when the fan was running at a low speed.(2 bars on the CC display)

Hope this helps,
Kenny.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenny,

I'm going to try the lube route but I think you might be right that it's a bearing issue. The noise sounds so related to the speed of the fan that I figured it must be blower related (but I was hoping it wasn't). Perhaps because the wife runs the ACC all the time, this results in premature failure.

A replacement motor over here is $280 so I'm a little cautious to spend that amount of cash without knowing it is 100% going to fix it.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
My car does this intermittently, as does my brother's. I've got a 1999 9-3 without ACC. He's got a 1998 900 with ACC.

I haven't noticed either of ours making the noise in a while. I think mine was only doing it in really low temperatures.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The $ 280 is proof that money is not the only factor in quality..

Kenny seems to have the best answer.

I do no care for permanently lubricated anything..
But with the ultra high price of labor, having oiling points and grease zerks again may not be the best answer.

And it is ludicrous to pay an oiler-man anything like 40% of the $100$ hour flat rate. I worked as a 50% commissioned mechanic at one time..This rate of pay was, IMO, too much...

IMO, it is best to design a motor vehicle that is serviceable and accessible; which is totally opposite of todays direction...The old Saabs and VW were much like this...economical to service..:cheesy:
If one could oil the bearings every six months in 2 to 3 minutes, no one would mind..
A maintenance free piece of machinery is an impossibily... I do not think GM agrees with this.

BTW, I think the percentages are in your favor; the blower QC is high enough that maybe 1 or 2 % have "squeaky bearings".., of course, this is my guess, does anyone have figures on this sort of thing ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
My saab has recently started making this chirping/whirring sound, albeit intermittently. Would there be any pictures or guides available on how to get to the blower motor? I still have an extended warranty until March but my closest dealer is almost 40miles away and i'm sure they will probably just oil it up and send it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I oiled mine up with WD-40 and some 3in1. It is a pretty easy job. Seems quiet for now. I followed the steps in the Haynes manual.

You could also use this to get to the cabin filter - http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/cabinfilterreplacement900-93.htm

Then remove the filter. There is then a shroud around the fan that has clips. Remove this and you will see the fan cage. Remove the terminal block used to power the fan and then look for the torx screws holding the fan motor down either side.

Unfortunately, the fan has just stopped changing speed and is permanently running on slow. I'm going to get back in there with a voltmeter to check things out. Perhaps I oiled it "too much!!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts