SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My ACC unit display ('99 9-3) has developed a mind of its own. Sometimes I get whole digits showing, sometimes parts of digits and sometimes just a blank.
The solution seems to be a replacement unit.
Is this just a straight swap? Pull out the old, push in the new after connecting the cable unit at the back. Or is there some configuration to do as well?
Thanks, Brian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant! I will give it a go. (I had this nightmare that after power on it would dispaly a message 'enter dealer code::' or some such... ).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i am guessing i am onto something else, but i was just going to start a thread about the climate control console so i will try here first....i have a 99 9-3 as well and my switch to turn the fan levels from 1-4 is getting problematic (if i jiggle it i can get it on at the highest setting only) and seeing as i also have problems with the knob to direct the fans towards your feet or body etc (it is very stiff) i was thinking of getting the entire console replaced. i must have a different one than you are talking about cause mine has no lights or things written out on it. anyways, does anybody know a part number for this or where i can find one? also is this an easy job? my mechanic i believe quoted me $400 for it (parts and labor) and i know with other work he has been very reasonable but i am not sure about this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok so i found a part number after searching the forums more intesively (#5174685) but back to the other question, anybody know if these are difficult to replace or not?

·
Registered
42 Posts
anybody? hate to get pushy but it's hitting over 100 daily here in vegas and i need this fixed but don't really want to spend 400 or more to get it done unless i absolutely have to!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Many threads on this. The control knob shaft is very light duty, breaks easily. I have never had one of these apart.

Haynes helps a little.

Your mechanic is probably reasonable in his estimate - this work is NOT easy at all - from what I hear...

·
Registered
42 Posts
my brother switched one of the knobs for me before but it only was attached to a plastic piece that rotated and switched the vents being used (i.e. either blowing at the footwell or out of the dash), my bigger concern is that the one that is broken now has wiring behind it from what i could tell on one i saw pulled out before at my mechanic. i was wondering if that is difficult to deal with or if it is simple and i haven't seen any threads on that particular issue. anyways i saw the part alone is 187 so safe to say close to 200 with s&h so if my mechanic wants 400 that may be fair to make sure it's done right and leaves me without more headaches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts