SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My AC fan has, for the past year, been making weird noises when I turn. From what I've read online this is the brushes on the blower motor giving out. Now, it's started shrieking very loudly and tiny chunks of foam are blowing out of the vents.

Sp probably some insulation fell off and got stuck in the blower motor? Per quasimotors ( http://www.quasimotors.com/blower_warn.htm ) I should glue it down - do I need to replace any of the missing chunks, or just glue whatever's left and not worry about it ?

Would replacing the blower motor & blades be the thing to do in this instance (per http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/ventilation/blower/blower.html ), since it was making noise for the year before anyways ?

Finally, I also read somewhere that it may be a good idea to replace the heater core while I've got the blower motor out. Would that add endless hours to the job or be relatively easy ? Any directions on how to do that out there ?

Thanks in advance,

- pat

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Replacing the heater core takes about 2 extra minutes, it's not held in by anything, just sits there so once you've got the blower housing out, just slide it out.

With regard to the blower housing, you can search the forums both here and on Saabscene, plenty of write ups. The only real couple of tips I'd say are:-

1. There are two plastic tabs at the bottom of the housing that need to be opened with a long screwdriver, once you've done that it will come out easily enough. Until you find them, it's a pig!

2. Refitting is an entertaining process because it just doesn't want to seem to go in and people have been known to wrestle with it for ages. My method was to outthink it. Put it where it should be, wrestle for a short while then take stock, relax, take a deep breath and study where it is and where it needs to be. Then mentally replay the movements required to make it line up and it will just drop in. Try being rough with it and it will just laugh in your face! :cheesy:

David.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
And may I recommend getting OEM parts, the best you can afford. My buddy had a heater core start leaking like a month after it was replaced. After you do the job once, you don't want to do it again at least for a few years!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts