SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

My schrader valve (low side) is leaking. I am going to get the following tool to replace valve core without discharging the system.

Amazon.com: Mastercool 91490 Standard Valve Core Remover / Installer: Automotive

I also need to get new valve core. The original valve core from eeuroparts.com is $10 plus $15 shipping. I wonder if I can get generic valve from amazon.com.

What kind of generic valve core should I be looking for?

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Alex:

You can remove the valve with a tool you can pick up at the local auto parts store for less than $10. Likewise the valve can be had for about $5 locally. These aren't Saab specific parts, they are standard A/C bits.

EDIT: Just re-read your post - If you are trying to avoid a vac and recharge, a tool like this may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I don't think that tool is going to do the job, from the picture, it's for old school R12 automotive systems, residential, commercial or industrial refrigeration, not modern R134a auto a/c systems.

That screw on tip looks suspiciously like a standard 1/4" flare connector, not the snap on automotive style valves.

I think Amazon.com: Interdynamics VCR-1L Air Conditioning Valve Core Remover and Installer for Schrader Low Side - Pack of 1: Automotive is more what you're looking for.

Nearly any auto parts house should have replacement valves. Looking at my 01, the valve might well be a standard a/c schrader valve, not one one of the larger auto styles and be even easier to find.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don't think that tool is going to do the job, from the picture, it's for old school R12 automotive systems, residential, commercial or industrial refrigeration, not modern R134a auto a/c systems.

That screw on tip looks suspiciously like a standard 1/4" flare connector, not the snap on automotive style valves.

I think Amazon.com: Interdynamics VCR-1L Air Conditioning Valve Core Remover and Installer for Schrader Low Side - Pack of 1: Automotive is more what you're looking for.

Nearly any auto parts house should have replacement valves. Looking at my 01, the valve might well be a standard a/c schrader valve, not one one of the larger auto styles and be even easier to find.
This the one?
Amazon.com: Interdynamics VCR-1L Air Conditioning Valve Core Remover and Installer for Schrader Low Side - Pack of 1: Automotive

For some reason your link broke.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, guys for the replies!

For some reason link keeps breaking, but I order the one you suggested. Indeed my link has R-12 mentioned in reviews, I should have read it more carefully.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts