SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
This helps me too. Going to do this this week.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I don't get it, then why are people talking about a port behind the headlight?

·
Registered
679 Posts
On my last car an 9-5 SE MY99 the charge point was as described.

On my current car an 9-5 Aero wagon the charge point was tucked in behind the headlight.

So there is a variation on the location with the 4 cyclinder models.

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ah..gotcha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, I'm rather new to the DIY scene but trying to learn as much as possible. I am rather certain my 2003 Linear needs a recharge as well but my question is at what pressure should the system be at when it's good? I've yet to do a recharge myself but have been reading as much as possible. Anyone have any comments or advice?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well the system can be at variety of pressures and still be in the right working condition. The manual states that with the AC running "Lo" (aka. max cool) and the ambient temperature being 20C (68F), the low pressure should be between 1.5bar - 2.5bar (22psi - 36psi).

However, test to see if the system works properly based on the temperature of air output:

- close all doors, windows, hood
- open all panel outlets
- with ambient temp 20-25 C, keep engine between 1500-2000rpm
- set fan to max
- set temp to LO
- set direction to panel (face)

After 5 minutes stick a thermometer probe into the center vent. The temperature should read about 7 C.

This is all taken from WIS (Saab Workshop Information System). If you're serious about DIY with your car, I recommend you get a copy ;)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
well........crap. The gauge I got was either defective or (most likely) really cheap. Either way, my system is now overfilled, what now!? :x The compressor runs for about 2 seconds before cutting off, trips on and does it again. The post start scramble for the econ button continues :roll:

·
Registered
740 Posts
You could always be environmentally EVIL and release some of it from the low pressure side port. It should work just like a tire valve, and pressing the center should open it. OR you could have someone evacuate it and adjust the pressure.

I had the same problem after my indy topped the ac off last year (a little "over the top" I'd say). I had the same symptoms - the AC would kick in and cool REALLY well, but the compressor would cut out quickly, most likely due to overpressure, and then all cycle again. I didn't do anything, and the situation fixed itself in about 2-3 weeks, just in time for the summer ;-)

Good luck

EDIT: One more thing I believe is important to mention: keep the refill can upright! Lots of people online post DIY instructions where they keep the can sideways, shaking it around, or even flip it upside down to "improve the flow of goodness". This is wrong! Remember, what you're doing is introducing the GAS into the system on the low pressure side as the system is running, allowing the compressor to assist by sucking it in. If you flip the can, you'll introduce LIQUID that will be sucked into the compressor. GAS is compressible, LIQUID isn't - ask anyone who drove through a really big puddle and sucked water into the engine. Which one do you think can damage the compressor? Exactly :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Right after posting I went back out and vented some of the gas, everything seems to be back to normal, except the AC is much cooler. The compressor still causes a strong vibration and bangs on and off :roll: Is getting this car perfect a pipe dream?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well.. I'm having real problems.
I took my car to a garage some time ago, because the coolant topup cans cost just as much at Halfords as the garage was charging to hook the AC system to their recharge machine for half an hour and check it.
When I drove away, it wasn't a particularly warm day, and so I wasn't sure whether the aircon was working properly or not. Now the sun has come out and it's bloody scorching, it's pretty obvious that it isn't.
When I got back to the car, they'd taken the grille off, so I know they must've used that port to fill the thing. Looks as if that may have been the wrong one.
Here's the oddity- there is clearly still pressure in the system. I momentarily jabbed the pin on the port behind the grille and discovered this.
When I turn the aircon on, the compressor doesn't turn. I crossed over the relay terminals, and hey presto... the compressor started.
But the air didn't get cold. Boo.
Perhaps the system is overpressurised, preventing the compressor from engaging? If so, though, I'd expect the air to get very cold when I force the compressor to engage. I'm a little mystified, and I can't for the life of me find the port that the system is supposed to be filled through.
Any thoughts, anyone?

Phil :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My system has ran great for about 2 years. Now it's not AS cold as I think it should be. I ran the temp test and it was about 19o Celsius when the car was sitting with the air on and the pressure was running 40psi. Which is still in the "safe" zone according to the gauge.
Here is the big question, Should i evacuate some of the pressure and refill with R134a. Say drop it 10psi down to 30 then refill with a fresh can back to 40 or just add R134a to about 45psi.

HELP. Its getting HOT here and I don't want to be HOT;oops:;oops:;oops:

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
My system "improved" after replacing the cabin air filter. It felt like the fan was weak but the air was still cool. Some of you guys could try this method first :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello again SC forum, I've gotten the refill can and I don't know if I can use it. I saw R134a but I didn't realize it said R134a+. Can I add this to my system or should I not let it touch my pretty Saabrina? It's R134a with a few things extra I believe. Is it no more harmless than adding those AC additives?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
is it just charging oil?

a lot of them come with oil in them so if you are totally bleeding out the system and replacing, you don't have to buy a separate can of oil...

id say it was safe, only thing id never put in my AC system is (leak stopper) id rather find the leak and replace the part

1 - 20 of 20 Posts