SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ac was blowing warm air out and i took it to the shop that i bought the car he refilled it and charged it for me , everything seemd ok but then a few hours later my ac was blowing warm air again and its not coverd under my 30 day waranty, so im not sure whats up with my ac its a bad time for my ac not to work :cry: does anyone know what could be wrong and how much would it cost to have fixed ? Thanks in addvance for any replies Dave.....

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
There should be a small sight glass behind the grill. On the top is a small glass window. With the engine running and the A/C on, you can see the level of R-132A. If you see bubbles, the level is way down. If you see just a few bubbles the level is ok. What do you see?... Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i cant see anything at all. i looked into the grill but i didnt see a sight levels, but it just blows warm air and i just had my ac recharged and filled mybe my ac compresser is no longer good?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont hear the compresser turning on and off. so im guesses that my compresser is shot how much would it cost to fix it the shop gets 78 a hour ?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Something else might be bad.

When the compressor does not turn on at all, it just means that there is some other system fault, and that is keeping it from being turned on.

When the compressor is bad, it either makes noise when it runs, or it turns off soon after turning on.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
When you turn on your A/C is the fan behind the radiator turning on? If not your system is overpressurizing and dumping the R-134.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Find the sight glass and figure out the freon level.

Or take it to a shop and have them check for a leak and refill the system. They can put dye in the system that will show up where it's leaking. Or just look for dirt on the hoses near the connections. Clean them up, and see what comes back.

If it blows cold for a few days then dies, you have a leak somewhere.

Don't replace the compressor, and don't replace anything until you find the leak and fix it.

Even I don't mess with AC work, it's complicated, messy and requires special tools.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies, im going to have my shop look at it and see where the prob is..... im diff thinking its a leak because the guy i bought my car off of filled my ac and then hours later my ac was blowing warm air out i was like what the hell.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i found the prob w my ac my ac compresser is shot it will cost me around 900 to fix the part is 655 from meinkee they looked at my car for free. Dave

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
...it will cost me around 900 to fix the part is 655 from meinkee they looked at my car for free. Dave
Of COURSE they looked at your car for free, LOL.
Do yourself a favor, and find another mechanic... there are people here who could fly out and fix it for less than that!

Saabsite.com: $470

eEuroparts: $459

ebay: ~$230
(lots of surplus Saab parts are being sold off on ebay for a fraction of the cost from former dealer and distributor stock)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thats cheap i guess i have to look around a bit before having some one fix it... I just bought this car i never checkd the ac dam i feel stupid lol and ac isnt coverd under warrenty the guy never told me that it didnt work i feel like he must of none abought it..... this teaching me a lissen to CHECK everything out i preety much did just not the ac..... I left the mech a massege that i wasnt to happy but in a nice way

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't take it to Meinekee, or Midas, or Goodyear, or any chains.

Find a good independent Saab or import repair shop near you and take it in for a second opinion. Check around to figure out where other Saab owners near you take them.

Having a trustworthy mechanic is second only to having a good doctor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i bought my car off of a independant saab guy master mechenic.... Ive had alot off things with this car go wrong i trusted that paying 4,550 for a 1999 saab 9-3 convertible that everything workd now first my horn went after he fixt it the first time, then my airbag light came on and my trunk keeps poping open and my service theft alarm keeps poping up and he said that its not a huge deal and have nothing to do with safty and he says that when i tell my custermers how much it is to fix they say aww forget about it and i turned my ac on and it blows warm air out so i told the saab guy about it so he says to come up and ill refill it he dosnt see whats wrong with my ac he just fills it and sends me on my way soo hours later my ac stops working and its back to blowing warm air out..... and when he refilled it he says to me now this isnt under the warreny but for youit is and i hope you know that we just did you a huge favor ya thanks for nothing now i just paid 4550 for a car i think i should expect everything to work on the car....and i get a constant vibration and meinkee said that my teres are 3 quarter gone and i have a whoble when they turn the wheel on the lift... What do you guys all think dam i really should on checkd the ac :evil:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now i think this saab guy would of known about the ac not working i mean how could he not know he sold me the car, i left him a massage but so i have a car with no ac, and to think i passed up a 2000 saab 0-5 with 90 miles for the 1999 saab 9-3 convertible with 117,000miles and the 9-5 everything work even the ac ice cold too..... i hope he fixes it i dought he wil.....:evil: soo if he refilled it knowing that it wasnt working then dam thats a ****ty thing to do to some one..... Honesty is very big with me.... :evil:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Welcome to the real world... Always make sure you check every single possible thing when purchasing a used car

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You rele cant trust anyone.... With how hard it is to sell a car nowadays the sellers\dealers will say or do anything or not say or not do anything to sell the car... Its very unfortunate
No kidding i usually do but didnt check the ac for some reasond . Guess you cant trust anyone these days

·
Registered
373 Posts
Warm air could be a couple things:

Freon level is too low
Check the hose connections where they meet at the front bottom of the car and look for some yellow stuff - if you see yellow stuff, there is a leak and you need new hoses or get them repaired.
Check to see if compressor is engaging - if not it could be the AC Pressure switch
If all else fails, could be the compressors.

Sno

1 - 20 of 31 Posts