SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post requesting help.

I have 93 2008 vector sport 1.9tid 120bhp right hand drive.

I have trawled the forums searching for this problem, but I don't seem to be able to match the symptoms.

I had my air con refilled last week and the car was ice cold for the first couple of days. Both the vent and the central vent on the passenger side went back to blowing warm air, whilst both drivers side vents were still very cold.

I had noticed a quiet but quick ticking by the glove box when the ac was switched on, it lasted for around 10 seconds. It went away when I switched off the ac and came back on. I could hear the compressor kicking in.

Also when the car was parked and I switched the air con on the revs would raise slightly and drop when it was switched off. This has stopped happening, toggling the aircon on and off makes no difference.

I have dropped the glove box out and checked the hot/cold blend motors, they are fine, as is the recirc flap. It seems like the compressor isn't kicking in. My friend thinks that it could be the low pressure switch, but I can't find any info on where to locate this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could this be a leak?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you're still getting cold air at all then the compressor is working and the clutch is kicking in. At a certain point of pressure the system will only end up blowing cold air out the driver's side, and then you'll get to a pressure point too low and the clutch won't be allowed to engage on the compressor.

You likely have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for coming back so quickly!

After doing a lot of reading on various solutions, I too am thinking there is a leak.

I took it back to the garage that regassed it, he said there isn't a leak if I'm still getting cold air from one vent, but most likely a blend motor (he didn't hook it up again, just had a quick look). The next day I had no cold air at all, so it looks like I'll have to drop it back to him for them to test the pressure. Is there anyway I can do this myself?

If anyone else has had similar problems, how did you sort it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for coming back so quickly!

After doing a lot of reading on various solutions, I too am thinking there is a leak.

I took it back to the garage that regassed it, he said there isn't a leak if I'm still getting cold air from one vent, but most likely a blend motor (he didn't hook it up again, just had a quick look). The next day I had no cold air at all, so it looks like I'll have to drop it back to him for them to test the pressure. Is there anyway I can do this myself?

If anyone else has had similar problems, how did you sort it?
If you have manifold gauges you can look at your low and high pressure, but other than that there's no real way.

I am currently trying to resolve my leak, mine will hold a full charge for about 3 days, then it goes to the only blowing cold driver, and within a night is not blowing at all.

I put UV dye in the system and used a blacklight to look around, the only place I even saw some dye was splattered about around the expansion valve. I had intended on fixing that today, but the tiny hex screws that hold the expansion valve to the evaporator sealing kit were rusted and I stripped it, so now I need to sort that out.

Best case -- one of your service ports is leaking. Easiest way to check that is to pressurize the system and drop some PAG 46 oil at the top and see if air bubbles up -- or if when you pull the 30" vacuum, if the pressure doesn't go down with the gauges hooked up it's the service ports.

Worst case -- The compressor seals are bad in which case you could have it rebuilt, but it's usually just cheaper to replace it.

Not so bad but annoying and time consuming -- the evaporator core is leaking. This seems to be the most common failure on cars as a whole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.