SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 9-3 SE with ACC

The AC compressor was changed less than a year ago, but now that I'm hitting over 100 degree temperatures daily now, my suspicions about my car's AC are confirmed. When recycling the air and the fan is set to half, I feel cool air coming out, but it is definitely not cold. Other cars have much cooler air coming out of the vents. When I jack up the fan to full, the air actually gets warmer, where it barely feels cool. Other cars' AC are able to keep up at full fan, and in hot temperatures.

My AC does work okay in cooler temperatures (i.e. night time). But during a day that hits the 90s, I'm still sweating with my AC running. My previous 2001 9-3 had cooler AC if I recall.

Low refridgerant? Bad seal? Or am I just crazy and expect too much out of an old car?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are you moving at a decent speed? If this happens when parked it could be the fan on the condeser has failed. I noticed mine wasn't great in traffic but as soon as I was moving it would feel great again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly doesn't feel good when still, but even when the car is moving, it is not great. In fact, most of the times I've noticed a rise in the vent temperature is when I'm moving. Sometimes I feel a gust of warmer air, then maybe a few minutes later it will return to a cool temperature (but again, not cold)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to check the refridgerant level, but I don't know where the valve is. Am I correct in assuming I can use those canisters from Wal-mart or whatever to measure and refill?

·
Registered
364 Posts
IIRC its the valve on the slam panel, maybe get someone else's view on this to be sure. Also you can only get the can to work with the correct valve to avoid blowing up the AC system. I've used the cans with gauges on my system before but I'm a little dubious of their accuracy.

Cheers,

Steven

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Break out your owners manual - page ? well, its value is limited...same with the Haynes...
The "lo-side" service port is next to the battery , the high side is behind the easy to remove grill.
Yes! Do use the unit from Wally-World, in a great many cases it works fine.
Most AC systems will slowly lose their freon charge - much akin to seepages of oil and coolant.
Your reading, or goal should be about 40 PSI with the engine and AC in operation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts