SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I know this oil filter subject has been beat to death. Just thought I'd share my recent experience with you. I purchased two AC Delco oil filters at Advance Auto Parts since I had some store credit to use up. Got them home and YIKES. They looked like they were assembled by a bunch of blind monkeys. One of them had dark brown glue pouring out of the endcap and black marks like spray paint all over the media. The other had a different type of red glue smeared all over it to the point that several of the pleats were stuck together. I also found it odd that the filter media was a different color between the two (brownish vs light tan). That made me wonder if they buy bulk media as cheap as they can find it. I took the filters back to the store for a refund. I expected the guys to laugh and tell me that they're still okay to use. Surprisingly, they were shocked at how bad the filters looked. They passed them around from employee to employee with all of them commenting about the terrible workmanship. The cashier that handled the return told me that they were going to 'defect them out' ie they weren't going to put them back on the shelf. Another employee told me that with Delco, you're only paying for the name (not that I really thought that highly of Delco in the first place!).
About a year ago, I noticed that the previous AC Delco filter I used had a lot of 'pilling' on the media. Like an old sweater. I didn't think much of it. After this, I've sworn off Delco filters. Makes me a little sad since the Delcos were the only filters I've found that were made in the US.
I haven't been able to find Mann filters anywhere (as I understand it, they make the Saab OEM ones, but my dealer is 40 miles away). I wound up going to the local auto parts store down the street and bought a Wix (made in Poland). The quality looked much better.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There have been reported cases of counterfeit AC Delco parts. Perhaps that is what you got.

The last AC Delco I bought had a Hengst in the box.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I buy the Purolator Pure One filters from Advance Auto Parts. They are some of the best filters on the market. For air/cabin filters I buy the Napa Gold filters which are made by Mann. I believe they are the OEM supplier for Saab.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Another vote for the Purolator Pure One

I buy them from Amazon and get enough with each order to receive free shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts