SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replace the compressor on the 9-3? I have mine out, with the short-belt mod, and thinking about replacing it.

Obviously, I plan to replace the receiver and expansion valve too, and replace all the seals I can.

Does anyone have experience with this GPD kit on rock auto? It looks like it includes everything for $190

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry thaedge, when I replaced mine it was generic from ebay. I think that you will need some PAG oil to lube the new O-rings and make sure that the old ones are out.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Out of curiosity - why replacing the compressor versus changing the compressor bearing? Not knowing your particular symptoms or reasoning...but rotational compressors rarely fail internally...but the clutch bearings go like .... well, something that goes a lot. I have had to replace the bearing on all of my cars and all my friends. For $20 plus shipping it is an easy job with the compressor out.

Of course in your particular case...it may be warranted to change out the compressor. ;)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Out of curiosity - why replacing the compressor versus changing the compressor bearing? Not knowing your particular symptoms or reasoning...but rotational compressors rarely fail internally...but the clutch bearings go like .... well, something that goes a lot. I have had to replace the bearing on all of my cars and all my friends. For $20 plus shipping it is an easy job with the compressor out.

Of course in your particular case...it may be warranted to change out the compressor. ;)
Saab, of course, is unique. An OEM bearing/clutch assembly can cost more than the whole compressor. Sometimes it's just easier to buy the whole thing. Cheaper and less work.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well easier - but I have changed out the bearing about 8x. Literally it is about an hour's work - and can be done on the car. :cheesy:

But the bearing are available - I have put the link to it in several threads to date. To be fair - whatever works for each individual.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yep, I made the mistake of replacing the whole thing. I wasn't thinking, I was very upset actually. My pulley froze and messed everything up. Even the power steering pump pulley was bent out of shape. Live and learn. Now gotta look for that link.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need the whole compressor, mainly because my car doesn't have one attached right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Flashheart
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing