SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising down the highway with the AC cranked and working great. I turned it off for a second, then I was cruising speedily down the highway and turned it back on and it was blowing warm. So I shut it off. When I got to the exit ramp and slowed down under 60 I tried it again and it came back cold.

When I pulled into a parking lot the engine was making a metallic clunking. 3-4 seconds of clunking, then nothing, then a 10 seconds later more clunking.

So when I looked under the hood I swear I saw the pulley on the AC wobbling. But then it stopped.

I drove around the rest of the day with the AC off and didn't hear from it again. This morning I drove to work with the AC on (low) and after about 20 minutes of driving it started the noise again. So I shut the AC off again and seemed to go away.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is the pulley replaceable or is that a whole one piece condensor unit?

Also, I read briefly of people using short belts to skip the AC condensor. Does anyone know this part number (or a resource) so I can throw a spare in the car in case the pulley flies off or something?

Thanks in advance,
- Castro

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Search the belt threads

The English have some without air; IMO, air and heat are almost equally necessary.

You may be able to save the compressor pulley (actually the magnetic clutch).
I think this can be replaced "on site"..without actual AC R134a gas work..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently had the same problem except mine was only making noise when the AC was off. (clutch disengaged) After a while it always made that noise on or off.
If you look at the pulley its wobbling, right?
If thats the case your AC pulley bearing is dying.
You have two choices you can replace the clutch/pulley assembly which will cost you $350+ from Saab.
Or you can take out the pulley, press out the bearing and press a new one in.
Follow the advice on...
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51991&highlight=pulley
If you don't have anyone that rebuilds AC compressors in your area or can't easily get a bearing for the AC rebuilder then you'll have to go to an industrial bearing supplier.
My AC compressor (99 9-3 SE) bearing is made by Nachi and is a fully sealed double row bearing meassuring 35/50/20mm.
The bearing cost me $45 CDN and 1 hour labour.
It's definately the cheaper way to go.
Good Luck :cool:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I just had the same exact problem less than a month ago. The bearing in the A/C clutch needed to be pulled out and replaced. Luckily it can be done without removing the compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts