SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC stopped working suddenly while driving this weekend and I'm looking into my options. Sorry if this has been addressed before but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I put 12v to the compressor lead and it didn't engage. When I checked the ohms it maxed out the meter (I have an old one) like when I connect the points. From what I read it should read 5 ohms.

Can I just replace the clutch? It would be nice not to open up the system since it has been working. I found the clutch in the link but it says 99-03 which confuses me as from what I understand the 2.3 and V6 use the same compressor. I may also grab a used one and switch the clutch to save opening the system but I'd rather have a new one.

If I can't do the clutch I will probably look for a refurbished compressor and do the expansion valve too. It wasn't too bad when I did my old aero but it locked up.

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor-Clutch-97364-fits-1999-2003-Saab-9-5/153551715277?fits=Model%3A9-5%7CMake%3ASaab&hash=item23c0653bcd:g:djQAAOSwoy9dHMhC

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
According to my OSC EPC the compressors are the same, however part number changed in 2004. The clutch SHOULD be the same, and is serviceable but anytime I've done it it's been on a bench so I evacuated the A/C system. Not sure how possible it is still bolted to the engine. Remaned units are so cheap I would go with a refurb unit personally...

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
It's very unlikely to be the clutch, have the AC pressures checked professionally and find out where the leak is in the system that is causing low pressures rather than chasing AC ghosts wasting time and money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't low pressure, it was working just fine and then quit and the clutch wouldn't engage with 12v directly to it.

I'm going with a reman unit and expansion valve. I have a drier somewhere in the garage. I was looking at it last night and thought it was a broken wire but there was so little room in there I don't think it would be possible to do in the car and may not fix it anyway. I was really hoping not to have to borrow the ac equipment and to work on this car again but oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts