SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the electric clutch on the air conditioner compressor? If so, how did you do it? I have removed the clutch plate and am down to the electric clutch body. Is there a special puller to use? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
978 Posts
pullers show up on e-bay every once and a while, but there are several compressors that use similer looking pullers but they are threaded different so make sure the one you are getting is for your application. I need one for an A-6 Harrison (delco) and got two other in the bargin, I thnik one is for the Saab (and others) compressor but haven't looked into it further.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I'd take it to an a/c house like Jim suggested. Unless you fancy owning a puller you'll never use again ;)

That reminds me, I've got a set of a/c guages hanging in the shed that I used one time 6 years ago. :lol:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Check with your local chain store. Oreilly's, Autozone, etc... They all loan specialty tools and might have the right size.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
If you get it wrong, it usually destroys the front seal. If you haven't discharged the system, wear safety goggles while trying it, corneas freeze real fast.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used a three legged gear puller I rented from Autozone, along with a large socket to keep from damaging anything. I also replaced the shaft seal with this one from Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...Seiki-SS170PSS/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=966075

I'm in the process of doing a writeup for rebuilding the compressor, but this is the document I referenced when I did mine:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/223377-fixing-shaft-seal-seiko-seiki.html

I'm assuming you have a Seiko SS170PSS of course...although if you do replace the shaft seal, make sure you order the correct one, as there are at least three that are listed for that model.

Dustin

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AC Clutch

Thanks for the info on clutch replacement. My AC system is fully charged and cooled well until the clutch went out. I have a spare compressor with good clutch and want to remove the good clutch and replace the failed one on my '92 vert without loosing the R12 refrigerant. I'll check with Autozone on their loaner AC clutch removal tool set. How would removing the clutch destroy the shaft seal?

Thanks for the safety goggle suggestion Jim. I wear glasses but will put on safety goggles also before trying this. If I'm not successful and lose the R12, I'll do a R134 conversion.

·
Registered
689 Posts
OK! Can womrs of ...open.
Why not change to R134a or one of the compatible equivalents that don't require a rebuild??

Don't shoot me, as I'm looking in to this and it's confusing!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Removing the clutch shouldn't damage the shaft seal or cause the system to lose pressure as the shaft seal is installed in the nose of the compressor which is attached to the body of the compressor with Allen bolts. The magnetic coil for the clutch is pressed onto the nose. This is assuming you have the Seiko SS170PSS. Just be sure to use eye and hand protection just in case.

The info I supplied in the previous post was in case you were replacing the shaft seal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AC Clutch

Thanks for all the input. What I have found is that I must replace only the pulley and pressure disc as the magnetic coil is good. The matching surface on the pulley and disc are badly scored and engage intermittently. I believe this greatly simplifies my repair but will post the final outcome when the job is complete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts