SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my car for it's 50k tune up. New rear brakes / rotors put on. I mentioned the car has been making this bizarre 'growling' noise on a cold start with the AC on.

Diagnosed as bad compressor. Tech said it has about 6 months probably before it's done. He quoted me 1200 JUST for the compressor!

How screwed am I?

·
Registered
568 Posts
These compressors are generally not prone to failure. They are a variable displacement type of compressor which basically means it is constantly adjusting how hard it needs to work depending on the demand put on it by outside temp, humidity, cabin temp etc.

I have noticed that my compressor makes different sounds at different times yet has always worked flawlessly nonetheless. If the noise increases or the a/c starts to falter only then would I consider replacement. Otherwise, if it ain't broke....

·
Registered
638 Posts
My compressor has been exhibiting this growling type rumble noise under certain conditions for about two years. Any updates? Massive failure?

Im hoping not, but wondering about proactive replacement...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Brought my car for it's 50k tune up. New rear brakes / rotors put on. I mentioned the car has been making this bizarre 'growling' noise on a cold start with the AC on.

Diagnosed as bad compressor. Tech said it has about 6 months probably before it's done. He quoted me 1200 JUST for the compressor!

How screwed am I?
That's about what I was quoted when my compressor crapped out on my old '99 9-3. I ended up replacing it myself in an afternoon.

There sure isn't much room on the V6 though, but the compressor is at the very bottom if I remember right. It might not be too hard to replace.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's about what I was quoted when my compressor crapped out on my old '99 9-3. I ended up replacing it myself in an afternoon.

There sure isn't much room on the V6 though, but the compressor is at the very bottom if I remember right. It might not be too hard to replace.
How much did it cost you?
My AC has been growling for nearly four years and hasnt failed, yet.
Honestly, I thought it was normal for these cars

·
Registered
638 Posts
My parents' toyota previa had a growling compressor for years and >250k miles when the like-new, well maintained van was destroyed by Sandy throwing a tree...

Thus why I havent been proactive with mine... But I will if there is evidence to the contrary.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think it was about $450 for parts. Compressors are not cheap. The cheapest compressor I have found for the 2.8L is at rockauto.com for $400. You'd also probably want to replace some other bits and pieces like the expansion valve and air dryer. You'll also have to recharge the system.

Does the compressor still function? If/when the compressor does fail, it may seize up causing the serpentine belt to snap leaving you stranded. When mine completely failed on my '99 it didn't seize and I drove it all winter, replacing the compressor in the spring.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think it was about $450 for parts. Compressors are not cheap. The cheapest compressor I have found for the 2.8L is at rockauto.com for $400. You'd also probably want to replace some other bits and pieces like the expansion valve and air dryer. You'll also have to recharge the system.

Does the compressor still function? If/when the compressor does fail, it may seize up causing the serpentine belt to snap leaving you stranded. When mine completely failed on my '99 it didn't seize and I drove it all winter, replacing the compressor in the spring.
Well, it was functioning, up until my accident. I havent been able to start the car since, but I bet it's still working. I just find it interesting that people are saying it's a symptom of a failing compressor, where two SAAB dealers told me it was completely normal; both occasions were billed for warranty, however.
I should be more clear though, it only growls as it engages. Once it's on, the sound dissapears.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well, it was functioning, up until my accident. I havent been able to start the car since, but I bet it's still working. I just find it interesting that people are saying it's a symptom of a failing compressor, where two SAAB dealers told me it was completely normal; both occasions were billed for warranty, however.
I should be more clear though, it only growls as it engages. Once it's on, the sound dissapears.

Wait, so the dealer said the growl was totally normal? If so, what was the warranty work done?

My growl, which is a sound I'd associate with bearings, will be there forever if the compressor is cycling. It will go away for the most part if not. Was yours only for a second or two at engagement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its still giving you cold air. dont worry about it. run it when you dont need it . to keep every thing in good running order. never let it sit un used. that will kill it,

·
Registered
638 Posts
If its still giving you cold air. dont worry about it. run it when you dont need it . to keep every thing in good running order. never let it sit un used. that will kill it,
Very true. My MB manual states to run AC at minimum once a month to prevent seal dryout and loss of refrigerant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
good thread .. mine's actually stopped working at the end of last summer but I didn't bother to have it fixed because winter was coming. Pressing the A/C button won't give me any response from the car. No noise of the compressor turning on or the RPM of the motor going up. And of course no cold air.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Wait, so the dealer said the growl was totally normal? If so, what was the warranty work done?

My growl, which is a sound I'd associate with bearings, will be there forever if the compressor is cycling. It will go away for the most part if not. Was yours only for a second or two at engagement?
Neither of my '06 Aeros growl.

·
Registered
638 Posts
good thread .. mine's actually stopped working at the end of last summer but I didn't bother to have it fixed because winter was coming. Pressing the A/C button won't give me any response from the car. No noise of the compressor turning on or the RPM of the motor going up. And of course no cold air.
This could be as simple as low charge - you need to have a static pressure reading taken to identify if you even have any liquid refrigerant left. The compressor will not engage if the pressure is too low.

But you also need to be very careful... If it is a case of lost refrigerant then you will need to replace the accumulator or receiver dryer because there is likely moisture in your system. Pulling a really good vacuum after solving any source of leak is also a main issue.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Neither of my '06 Aeros growl.
I have no idea if it 06 Aero uses the same compressor as an 04 linear. Different compressors will make different noise depending on design such as piston versus radial, swashplate, etc.

And I'm not even sure that a growl is the right way to define it. With the radio on or driving down the road would not hear anything. You need to be listing pretty close, all I know is that is louder then the AC coming on in any of the six other cars that I own.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah, same here.
I figured, it is loud when on, that's they way it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts