SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent around an hour searching this forum for the answer to my problem. My AC bearings went out a few months ago and my Saab has been sitting ever since.

I knew from prior vehicles that it is possible to bypass the AC unit. The only thing I could find on this site were bypass mods for Saab 93 models where the idler pulley needed to be removed...

The size I found for the Saab 93 was 6PK1815 or 6PK1905. There were mixed opinions about which one worked.

I tried both of these belts and they were too big. I finally went back to my local auto parts store and purchased the next 4 smaller belt sizes and figured that I would find one that fit.

I tried the 6PK1790 equivalent first and that one did not fit. It was snug, but as I let it idle for a few min it started slipping.

Long story short, the one that ended up working was the equivalent generic serpentine belt PART NUMBER "6PK1980". I installed it a few hours ago and drove it for about an hour and everything is great, no more metal screeching from the AC pulley bearing!!! This belt is just as tight as the original long version.

Here is the cross part number equivalent information from O'Reilly's parts store:

Link: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MBH0/K060703.oap?ck=Search_6pk1780_-1_-1&keyword=6pk1780

MasterPro Belt/Hose - Serpentine Belt
Part Number: K060703
Line: MBH
1 Year Limited Warranty
UPC: 29769199213
Number Of Ribs: 6
Width (In): 0.807 Inch
Outside Circumference (In): 70.833 Inch
Number Of Ribs: 6
Width (In): 0.807 Inch
Width (mm): 20mm
Outside Circumference (In): 70.833 Inch
Outside Circumference (mm): 1799mm
Detailed Description
Designed for the budget conscience customer who wants quality, but does not require the superior performance of the premium belt.
Manufactured with first-generation belt materials.
Not for severe driving or high load applications.
Meets SAE J1459 specifications.

Additional Details
Effective Length (In): 70.270 Inch
Effective Length (mm): 1785mm
OE Comparison Rating: OE Quality

I hope this helps the next person trying to figure out the correct belt size for the 95 2.3L engine configuration.

R/

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

This belt may actually be a bit too tight. The top left idler pulley disintegrated today when I was driving my son to daycare. The belt is still intact. I am not sure if the bearings/pulley was ready to go already or if this modification put too much strain on the pulley. I would think that the belt did not put too much strain because when i released the tensioner pulley to make the belt tight it was not all the way tight.

Just wanted to provide a heads up.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What size belt did you end up with? On my 2006 9-5 , I'm using the "short short belt" 6pk1815 with my AC delete and no problems after 2 years.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I currently use Goodyear 4060715 Gatorback Poly-V Belts, I deleted my AC and removed the compressor. Use This belt if you ave no center pulley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts