SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didn't find a discussion of this.

What does your ABS/Traction Control sound like when it kicks in? Mine sounds rather metalic, but works well. I was suprised the first time because it was totaly diferent than others I had heard in the past.

TIA

·
Registered
97 Posts
The ABS sounds metalic to me, too. And the repetition rate of the sound is higher than I'm used to.

The Traction Control, tho, is silent as described above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine kicked in the other day and caught me off guard. It sounds metallic and it felt like the brake was pushing back against me. It definitely works well though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's always a good idea to get to know these features under safe, controlled conditions. These are safety systems designed to help keep you in control of the car during situations where you might otherwise be "beyond the limit".

I'll usually try to find an empty parking lot, and toss the car around a bit when it's wet or snowy; you want to get to know how the car turns in at the limit (the 9-3 understeers pretty badly) know what the ABS feels like when it kicks in, and know what to expect when the traction control engages. You don't want to be caught off guard and uprised when and if these systems come into play during an emergency manuever.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
In my personal experience, yes the 9-3 does understeer, but not that bad. In snowy conditions try to take any turn with a front, rear, or AWD car without any acceleration and you will find yourself heading straight to the walls.

Though when taking a turn at normal speeds, and the car tends to understeer, the ESP kicks in and little do I see myself trying to tuck my rear in :cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vector-SS said:
In my personal experience, yes the 9-3 does understeer, but not that bad. In snowy conditions try to take any turn with a front, rear, or AWD car without any acceleration and you will find yourself heading straight to the walls.

Though when taking a turn at normal speeds, and the car tends to understeer, the ESP kicks in and little do I see myself trying to tuck my rear in :cool:
X2 it was fun playing in the snow today

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Vector-SS said:

I agree with this. I've owned many FWD cars, and my 9-3 Aero exhibits the least amount of understeer of any of them. Yes, the dominant trait is still understeer, but it's closer to neutral than any other FWD car I've ever owned. I've actually found it pretty easy to flick the tail out (oversteer) on several occasions (with ESP off). As I discovered in the Aero Academy, the SportCombis are even more neutral, and quite flickable in the corners.

And I also agree that it's a really good idea to test your ABS & traction control under at least semi-controlled conditions. Every car responds a bit differently to situations: how agressively the ABS functions, what the pedal feels like, what it sounds like, how the traction control will step in, what it feels like without it, etc. In a panic situation, you want to know what your car will do so you can concentrate on avoiding an accident and not worried about why the brake pedal is pulsing.

A snowy, empty parking lot (with the owner's permission) is a great place to 'play'. 10 minutes of tossing your car around might save your life.

Back to the OT: My ESP doesn't make any noise. The light flashes and I can feel the engine power decrease. I'm not sure whether the 9-3 uses ABS too, but it definitely retards the throttle.

My ABS makes a 'scrunching' noise. Almost like a rubbery-metallic sound. Sounds like every other 'modern' ABS systems I've experienced. There is some brake pedal kickback, as expected, but it's a lot less than other cars I've had. Older ABS systems (more than 8 or 10 years ago) had more of a 'clunking/clopping/banging' sound to them, in my experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts