SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the switch which screws into the side of the abs pump/master cylinder/accumulator assembly. Have new sensor ready to fit. Has anyone done this job in car without removing anything but the switch? Will a 36/38mm socket go over the switch?
Would appreciate advice from anyone who has tackled this job.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
494 Posts
36mm 6-point deep socket...

that is at least 60mm deep should remove pressure switch sensor. Original socket tool with rounded corners was Kent-Moore J-35804. Sensor contacts and its wire harness connector are prone to corrosion.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, maybe it is just corrosion on the sensor on car. Contacts on "new" sensor look fine. Will give this a shot later.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy with 36mm 12 point socket and impact wrench. Won't be quite that easy on the car but I'll rig up something.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took a while longer on the car, socket was barely long enough. Anyway got the switch out, new one in and the pump worked as expected ;ol;

·
Registered
966 Posts
Phil,

What were your symptoms? The pressure switch reacts to 4 pressure levels and it'd be interesting to see which one failed.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Symptoms very straightforward, abs light on and brake light beside it also on, no brake assistance, no abs pump running at any time ( for example switch on ignition ). So I guess it didn't react to the lowest pressure level for a start.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as a friend's ABS is also having the same symptoms.

I rigged a bypass switch from the ABS relay/fuse box into the cabin to allow him to energise the ABS pump relay and pressurise the system and extinguish the warning lights. At least it allows him to drive.

The pressure sensor is clearly on the blink. There is no connectivity between pins 1 and 4, which is needed to energise the relay. There is connectivity between pins 1 and 2, which lights up the warning lights, so that checks out.

Pin 1 is top right, Pin 3 is top left. Pin 4 is bottom right, Pin 5 is bottom left.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
So you manually activate the abs pump when the warning lights come on?

A bit risky, but I like it for a 'field' fix to get a car home...

·
Registered
966 Posts
So you manually activate the abs pump when the warning lights come on?

A bit risky, but I like it for a 'field' fix to get a car home...
Yes. The pressure switch grounds the ABS pump relay which supplies power to the pump. At least it allowed him to drive home.

I plumbed the wire from the ABS relay box through the wheel well cavity (the vert doesn't have the vacuum reservoir (bomb) there), through a hole in the door end & into the cabin. Being RHD means a shorter run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts