SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Work Required

Never realised there are so many parts to change to do it. Looking on PFS it seems the rear wheel bearings and outer CV joints are different. Thats 200 notes by itself!:eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well...the brake feel between an ABS 900 and a non-ABS 900 can not be compared. The non-ABS is a vaccuum assist and the ABS is a hydrolic assist.

I've driven both and I think the ABS system feels different in that it has a shorter pedal travel and the pedal pressure is always the same....where as the non abs one gets stiffer the futher you push it.

I prefer the feel of the ABS system. I also prefer ABS! For one week I took the ABS master fuse out to see what life would be like without ABS. I hated it! The system gives me feed back though the pedal and suspension about what each tire is doing and how close it is to slipping. Also, If I choose to not regulate my own brake pressure, it will limit me to a safe maximum and only allow momentaty wheel lock at a regulated frequency for maximum stopping traction. If my abs broke today, I assure you I would fix it at any cost. It is a priceless part of my car.

The C900 ABS system is not bad at all, as far as ABS goes. It is a three channel system rather than a 4 channel (like on my lil bro's 1992 MB 190e) On 4 channel the ABS can individually change the brake pressure at any given wheel, or all the wheels. On 3 channel the front two wheels can be done independantly but the back two operate on the same single brake line. THat means that if the back left winds up in a patch of wet leaves and locks up.....the ABS lowers the brake pressure to the back right also, even though it wasn't even close to slipping. This isn't a huge issue since the front tires do the majority of the braking. My brothers 4 channel unit does bettter, but I'm not disappointed in mine! Its still far better than the ABS on every american car I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My 2 cents...

I have one of each (both SPG/Aeros), the abs car has awful pedal feel (but good Brembo discs/pads, so it stops) and is USELESS in snow as I found out a year ago while descending a narrow hill, it just gave up and locked up after trying to slow the car... I just had to let go and steer hoping nothing would come the other way! Tried cadence braking, it just confused it even more!

In the non-abs car you just need to know what you're doing and drive with a degree of anticipation, not a bad idea really.

IIRC abs equipped cars of this vintage take longer to stop in the dry than non-abs cars (there was a good pic in the 944 owners manual I believe...), the better feel of the normal car should enable the driver to moderate their braking.

As for the Saab having sharp brakes....it's not the car that causes the brakes to lock....

Better brakes/tyres will not mean they are more prone to locking up...the improvements should reflect in pedal feel too...

Even the Brembo equipped car won't trigger the abs unless I'm being a real berk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
s900snt said:
The C900 ABS system is not bad at all, as far as ABS goes. It is a three channel system rather than a 4 channel (like on my lil bro's 1992 MB 190e) On 4 channel the ABS can individually change the brake pressure at any given wheel, or all the wheels. On 3 channel the front two wheels can be done independantly but the back two operate on the same single brake line.
I agree completey. it is a good system for it's time and it's application is confidence insipiring. But to retro fit such a system!?! i would rather not, the system is Very expensive and if you were to go the second hand route how would you know all the parts were 100%

Even fitting the system is dangerous. the brake bomb (ABS pressure accumulator) run pressures of 2,000lbs of pressure IIRC, it may even be 20,000lbs can't remember for sure.

OK let's say you do get the parts, you get it fitted without causing damage to yourself AND that the system actually works on all wheels! You could have had your car stopping on the road far more quickly with mods to the system you have got, you would also have significantly better pedal feel and therefore improved control over braking too.

ABS is really only used when extreme stopping is required on bumpy or rainy roads or corners. i would personally concentrate on perfecting the current system rather than retro fitting an old complicated system that could go very very wrong.

IF TVR's can do without ABS and just have big discs and calipers then so should your SAAB.

sorry i don't mean to sound patronising or anything.;oops:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
My 92 2.1 sedan has ABS. It has very 'hard' pedal feel. Brakes work. Removing ABS (at least here in Oz) would probably be considered an illegal mod. All my previous C900's didn't have ABS.

My 1990 9k carlsson also has ABS but it doesn't have hard pedal feel - just feels 'normal'. Go figure. I don't know how the ABS in the 9k compares to ABS in the C900 in terms of components, configuration, etc.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts