SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to replace an ABS Module in my 5 Speed Manual 2003 9-3 2.0 SE convertible. Looking for compatible models.
I've been TOLD convertibles only.
Does it matter if it's Manual or Automatic Transmission?
What other year are compatible?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've a 2003 9.3 convertible 2.0 SE.
Many projects:
Error code 1662,
Clutch replacement.
Abs module.
Blower motor.
Eventually intermittent radio static.
I have a post about the ABS mod already.
Now that I have access to a garage, I feel Obligated to try the clutch myself. And later other items on the list. I know it involves dropping sub-frame & transmission. I'd love to find a step by step for this intimidating process. I've not found any YouTube help.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
You need an ABS with TCS from a 2000 - 2002 or 2003 vert OG 9-3 with traction control. They all cross over to the same number now so theoretically any should work. That's all that matters.

If you post your symptoms, we might be able to help diagnose if you need the module. Also, adding your location & vehicle info to your profile helps us help you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You need an ABS with TCS from a 2000 - 2002 or 2003 vert OG 9-3 with traction control. They all cross over to the same number now so theoretically any should work. That's all that matters.

If you post your symptoms, we might be able to help diagnose if you need the module. Also, adding your location & vehicle info to your profile helps us help you.
???

I thought TCS was an automatic transmission thing...? The OP has a manual.

My understanding is that any NG900/OG9-3 manual transmission ABS unit will work...that's what I looked for when I needed one (I can't remember what specific car I ended up getting one from). The autobox version was obviously different, IIRC. I still have my old one if a picture would help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did a little digging on the EPC and it seems as if there are two ABS control units for the OG9-3s...one for TCS and, well, the other one. So, that suggests that any NON-TCS OG9-3 control unit would work.

NG900s are a bit murkier. The 1998 NG900 shares the part number with the NON-TCS OG9-3 unit...so, it would work...

The 1994-95 has a different number...1996 has a different number...and, 1997 has yet another different number. I don't know anything about retro-fitting later part numbers to earlier cars...EPC doesn't say anything because the control unit is/was not available separately.

So...it sounds like the OP needs a 1998-2002 (or, '03 'vert) NON-TCS control unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have replaced the module on my 2003 SE convertible. Mine is automatic. I have a spare from a 2001 hatchback that my Saab guy said would be compatible.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
???

I thought TCS was an automatic transmission thing...? The OP has a manual.

My understanding is that any NG900/OG9-3 manual transmission ABS unit will work...that's what I looked for when I needed one (I can't remember what specific car I ended up getting one from). The autobox version was obviously different, IIRC. I still have my old one if a picture would help.
TCS is traction control system, its present on all 2001 and later models (at least in the US) regardless of transmission. The ABS control module for TCS equipped cars have an extra row of valves/solenoids (4x3 vs. 4x2).

Regarding the 900, the 1994-1995 ABS used a rear proportioning valve as part of the system so the module may be configured differently, taking those out of the equation it pretty much boils down 1996-2003 match the number of valves/solenoids (i.e. with or without TCS) and any modules will work regardless of part number.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Now that I have access to a garage, I feel Obligated to try the clutch myself. And later other items on the list. I know it involves dropping sub-frame & transmission. I'd love to find a step by step for this intimidating process. I've not found any YouTube help.
Any ideas?

This is a great resource:

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts