SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Saab 9-3, Model Year 2005. I am getting warnings to the effect of "ABS FAILURE", "TRACTION CONTROL FAILURE", and "STABILITY CONTROL FAILURE".

Based on the web research it appears to be an ABS Module failure. The question I am having trouble answering is "Does my car use the Bosch 5.3 ABS Module?".

There are conflicting reports on this. Some sites say yes, while others say no -- not repairable. I'd really appreciate some clarity on this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem with the addition of a speedo malfunction. A number of learned members have pointed to ABS sensor wiring issues in the rear as a possibility prior to delving into a new sensor/hub or ABS module purchase.

I will be getting under my lemon this weekend to check for rear sensor wiring continuity and will report back.

Apologies for not answering your question directly but it may be worth pursuing the above less expensive possibilities first.

kooby

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try out Aerojon's suggestion?

Did you manage to get under the car? I was going to do this, until we got 6 inches of snow in Michigan -- which made me disinclined to lie on the ground.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I checked my harness, all is good. Checked the resistance at the rear wheel sensors, both sensors returned full/infinite resistance. Took my front wheel off in order to get at the front sensor (hub & sensor replaced 1 year ago) got a resistance of 3.4 where the multimeter was set to 20K.

I would do it in reverse if I was doing it a second time. Get under the rear and check resistance at the wheel sensors first. If all is good and you are geting a reading, then move to the brown connector in the plastic box just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Pins 1 through 4 are the relevant testing pins. If you get the same resistance on pins 1&2 and 3&4 as on the sensors themselves, then it is likely not the sensors or the harness (unless its not a full harness break and contact is being made intermittently). Also check the harness going from the above noted box to the wheel speed sensors for signs of obvious damage.

One thing to note is that the front sensor returned a reading only in one pos/neg configuration. So if you get no reading when you first make contact, reverse polarity to be sure.

Cheers
Kooby

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this same problem and I was gonna try and get under my car in the near future. I was inclined to fix it quickly but then I had to drive from Detroit to Chicago, in a blizzard, with no drivers aids... it worked fine, lol.

As of now i am going to wait until things warm up a bit before I get adventurous.

·
Registered
941 Posts
only time i really had this issue was with a weak batt, and/or looose terminal connections. check this as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues myself, except mine is only a stability control falure code. Trying to see what the typical issues are on this model.

To answer the OP's question, the Module is not a Bosch 5.3, but a TRW EBC430 VSC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts