SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never experienced this before and was wondering if someone else has...

'02 9-3 SE, had the typical no speedo, all the warning lights, etc. associated with a bad ABS module.

I had a spare one sitting around, so I swapped it out yesterday afternoon.

On the first drive, all warning lights went off and the speedo worked, so that seemed good.

This morning - the second drive - the TCS light came on after a few seconds after starting the car. I tried turning it off and restarting it, but the same thing happened.

I did verify the donor module was from a TCS car, and I did verify both the main upper connector and second 2-pin lower connected are firmly seated.

Anyone ever run into this before? I don't think I've ever even seen a TCS malfunction on an OG9-3!

·
Registered
653 Posts
You may want to check the number, when I stopped in BBA reman the guy I spoke with asked if indeed the one I was having worked on was from the same year. He thought there was a difference in 01 with TCS, My 02 experienced all those same issues, put the reconditioned unit in and wellah. for the 02 Bosch # 273 004 578, EPC saab # 52 35 874.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm.... the part numbers match, and both cars are 2002s. Well, at least they're titled as '02s... I guess I should check VINs!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Some details -

The part number on both units is 52 31 204 - Bosch 0 265 220 825.

The original module's Bosch part number is 0 273 004 578 ... Unfortunately I can't see the number on the one I put in.

I will look these up in EPC and see what's what.

I am also wondering if there is some programming that can be done in Tech 2 to rectify this.

Edit: EPC doesn't show 5231204 as a part number at all. Yay.

Edit 2: The internet shows that's a valid part for an '02, so I have no idea. Guess my next step is see what Tech 2 shows as a fault, then try to junkyard one and see how that goes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
After going into BBA, and seeing the stock they had on the shelf, there are TONS of these units for multiple cars that look alike,same shape everything. It's possible it may have been changed from another car, hey this looks like it will work scenario.

EDIT ,after searching it looks like a conflict between those 2 numbers, if not it's either for an audi or a toyota

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which two numbers?

Wait,I think a typo - Bosch 0 265 220 825. = Bosch 0 265 220 625.

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
I've heard that you need an exact Bosch part # match. Then again, the EPC makes no such distinction between Bosch numbers... they have one unit for TCS and one for not-TCS. That's it.

I've never seen anything in Tech II for this... but I haven't tried to hunt for it either.

FYI - BBA is out of business.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard that you need an exact Bosch part # match. Then again, the EPC makes no such distinction between Bosch numbers... they have one unit for TCS and one for not-TCS. That's it.
That's what I was going off of, and not only that but EPC only has a part number for the whole thing - the valve body and the control unit. And in this case "the whole thing" has the same Saab part number in both cases.

Bosch has a valve body with one part number, and a control unit with a different part number. The valve body has the same part number in both cases. I can't see the part number on the installed control unit. But with four of six part numbers matching, you'd think I'd be golden...

EPC doesn't make the distinction, but is it possible there is a difference between manual and automatic cars? I don't see why it would since all we're talking about is an ABS system that communicates "reduce power" to the ECM... it shouldn't care with the transmission is I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reviewing WIS, it looks like one of the inputs for the module is gear ratio, and it's either computed by ECM (for manual gearboxes) or TCM (for automatics). I'm betting that this module was from a manual, and now gear ratio info is not being transmitted to the module. WIS says the module can be programmed for auto or manual, so it seems that is something I should probably double check and, if necessary, figure out how to do!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stored code:

And under programming:

I switched it from "manuel" to automatic... we'll see if it goes away!

How I have not encountered this in 15 years of 9-3 ownership I will never know.

·
Registered
17,814 Posts
BBA in Taunton Ma. was open this morning.
Seriously? Their web site is gone. I called them three times during business hours a couple weeks ago and always went to voice mail. Emails get no response. Do you have a phone # for them that works?

·
Registered
653 Posts
you mean this # from the website that won't work on your computer? When I stopped in in Taunton, they had 4 people answering the phones nonstop, plus the walkin counter, service was great 2 day turn around on the ABS module and I was still in there system from 6 years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts