SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my ABS module back from BBA reman and got it installed and as soon as I turned the car on the airbag light stayed on. I started driving it and after a minute or two all the other lights came on Brake, tcs, brake etc. The check engine light didn't come on not sure if that takes more driving to have that come back on?

I stopped the car and pulled the ecu fuse and started the car up and the same thing happened.

One thing that does work now is the speedometer it didn't work before so I guess at least that is fixed. My question is did bba reman send me a unit that was not my own? Is there a way to tell? I know that if you have a ABS unit that didn't belong to your car then it needs to be married up to it. How would I be able to tell if this is indeed the same one that was sent in?

If a abs module isn't married to the car does only the speedometer work or would that not even work? I will call bba tomorrow and see if they have any input as to what to do but I wanted to see if anyone on the forums could give me some guidance.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have just had the same issue with BBA. They had it back again to test they had not missed anything.

All the tests they did found no fault but as soon as I fitted it to the car it had all the warning lights but a working speedometer.

In the end they refunded my money after I sent them a copy of the receipt for another unit.

Not sure why they cant do real time tests on these units?

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks did you end up buying another unit and then having it matched up to your car? If so did that fix the warning lights etc?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You must get one with exactly the same part number and then it will just work.

If you look at the bottom of the black box there is a long number and that is the one that must be the same. Apparently all will fit but only the correct part number will work correctly.

You should buy one that comes with a warranty,mine came with a 30 day warranty from a car that had only done 50,000 miles apparently so hopefully that will be it for a while.

I was quoted £2000 for a new one from Saab, more than the car is worth.

Good luck

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told by BBA that my module was beyond repair. They said they had another one there that they would warranty for life but that it would have to be programed to the car. I am confused about the TECH 2 program/mating. BBA says it'll need it, some on this and other forums say so as well. Some others say if it's from a car w/ similar trans/engine it doesn't. I have a 2004 Aero Auto trans. w/ esp. and only 64k on the odo. I sure hope the unit BBA sends will be plug and play. wtf is it w/ these units failing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I understand they will plug and play if you have the correct part number but if not you will need to get it Tech 2'd to make other part numbers work.

I would suggest you search for one with the correct part number first and if you cannot find one get what ever you can and get the car to Saab to align the ECU's or what ever they do.

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I called BBA and they needed the fault codes in the module. Since I don't have anything to read these codes I took it to a saab indy and he was able to pull the code and said it was part of the module that was failing (C2455). He even had me call BBA while I was there to make sure they had what they needed. I spoke with a tech at BBA and they said it was covered and to send the module in to them again and they've sent me a 2 day shipping label. Hopefully the second time is a charm.

I can't say enough about the Saab indy (Boyds saab) that read the codes and told me what the issue was. Even though I didn't send it in through him he was more than willing to help me out.

It is stuff like this that makes me appreciate a business that is really great!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
"I can't say enough about the Saab indy (Boyds saab) that read the codes and told me what the issue was. Even though I didn't send it in through him he was more than willing to help me out.

It is stuff like this that makes me appreciate a business that is really great!! "

That's Awesome!
I had a great indy shop owner/friend, Ken Morrison, in Colorado (http://oldtownimportrepair.com/) But haven't found a good local Indy since we moved to Oahu a year ago. I've been toying with the Idea of buying a chinese knock off Tech 2 to program my ABS module when it arrives (if it needs it) and to have around just in case. What all would I need to program an abs controller and/or is it a stupid idea?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got the 2nd unit back from BBA reman and they said they couldn't fix mine so they were sending me another unit. I put the module in and took my car to a saab indy to have it programmed and they told me that the module appeared locked as it wouldn't allow them to marry it to the car. I've since taken it off and sent it back to have it looked at. Does the memory or something need to be reset on these modules if they aren't the original one before they can be linked to the car?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put one on from the wrecker when mine went, and it fixed all the lights except the TCS light which I was told needs to be reprogrammed with a Tech II

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I got my unit from BBA the speedo worked but the ABS, ESP and Brake lights were still lit. This was because the original unit from my car wasn't fixable and they sent one off the shelf. It's my understanding that these units do not need "divorced" and that if the replacement comes from a car w/ all the same options (sedan/wagon, trim level, Auto/Manual etc..) then they are plug 'n play. ESP cars need ESP ABS modules to work. Other than that it should only take a few mins. on a tech2 to reprogram a unit to a car. The Stealership did mine in 10mins. then stared at the car for an hour, and charged me $160 :-/
God, I miss Ken!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that is what I had thought either you plug and play or should just need a tech 2 hookup. The saab indy was a little confused as to why it wouldn't let them marry it up. It just told him that it was locked and couldn't be programmed to the car. Hopefully I will hear back from bba in the next day or two to see what they have to say. I'm a little frustrated as this is the third time I've had to send this in I thought it would be easier than it has been. At least I'm getting good at taking it off and putting it back on :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts