SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've checked the forum and found plenty of people have also had ABS module failure, symptoms being ABS warning light, Brake warning light, park warning light, and speedo failure.

My questions are: (1) Has anyone had intermittent failure (and fixing) both during driving and in between (parking and driving)? Sometimes it fails on engine start then starts working during driving. (2) Does anyone know of failure being caused by accidental damage during maintenance?

My car just had oil pressure switch replaced and the starter motor was taken off to get to it. When it was back on the ABS warnings started. I know the ABS unit is close to the starter so I'm thinking maybe the mechanic could have accidently given it a whack...:(

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Steve,Before I eventually changed my ABS module it did appear to be an intermittent fault.CAr would run fine for months then suddenly all the lights appeared. Ran around for a few days and it would work ok then it wouldnt. Over the course of a year it would come and go. The last time it went though the warning lights stayed on and wouldnt go off. I checked the wheel sensors etc and had the tech 2 read the ECU. Came back with unable to read main bus or some such.Laymans terms it couldnt communicate with main ECU which meant the ABS module knackered.
I cannot see your fault being associated with accidental damage as the actual Bosch unit is pretty much tucked away. In most of the cases logged its a fault that appears on older cars after about 4 years or so. I was told by a guy who repairs them that its just a bad design fault on these units and he has to perform some micro electronic surgery on them to bring them back to life.

Just old age I would think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,Before I eventually changed my ABS module it did appear to be an intermittent fault.CAr would run fine for months then suddenly all the lights appeared. Ran around for a few days and it would work ok then it wouldnt. Over the course of a year it would come and go. The last time it went though the warning lights stayed on and wouldnt go off. I checked the wheel sensors etc and had the tech 2 read the ECU. Came back with unable to read main bus or some such.Laymans terms it couldnt communicate with main ECU which meant the ABS module knackered.
DJ53 said:
I cannot see your fault being associated with accidental damage as the actual Bosch unit is pretty much tucked away. In most of the cases logged its a fault that appears on older cars after about 4 years or so. I was told by a guy who repairs them that its just a bad design fault on these units and he has to perform some micro electronic surgery on them to bring them back to life.

Just old age I would think.
Thanks for the reply DJ53, useful to know it can be intermittent before finally dying. I wondered about accidental damage as one previous poster broke the cable holder which caused a loose connection and showed the same symptoms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally found time to get an update after going down with flu the day I re-fitted the abs module.

Fantastic service from BBA Reman: posted registered Tuesday 17th Dec (£6), received back Thursday 19th Dec registered post. Re-fitted on Saturday 21st Dec, one week after removal and instant fix. No lights or warning beeps, speedo and ABS all working again. Total cost £113.5 + 1.5 hours under the bonnet.:D

A few tips for anyone else making this change:
1) I removed battery and battery holder to get easier access to all 6 screws that need removing.
2) Removing bolts from fuse box allowed enough movement to make a difference, it's only 3 bolts. Removing it would have helped a lot but I couldn't see how to detach all the wires.
3) Removing the retaining clip was slightly tricky as you need to wiggle the clip AND lift the plug. The same was needed when re-fitting as it will not go back on without lifting and wiggle the plug.
4) Useful to use a flexible electric screwdriver driver bit as access to the screws can be tricky.

All in all a big recommendation for a DIY job. The dealership confirmed they will only replace the entire unit (including pump) which will cost £1,000+
Good luck to all and Happy New Year.

Steve

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done Steve ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good job. I posted this DIY on the web a long time ago.

Chris... I took pics etc of this if you'd like to post to the Mx Sticky.

Also have DIY for Heater Bypass Valve for your use here.

Johnny

SteveB said:
Finally found time to get an update after going down with flu the day I re-fitted the abs module.

Fantastic service from BBA Reman: posted registered Tuesday 17th Dec (£6), received back Thursday 19th Dec registered post. Re-fitted on Saturday 21st Dec, one week after removal and instant fix. No lights or warning beeps, speedo and ABS all working again. Total cost £113.5 + 1.5 hours under the bonnet.:D

A few tips for anyone else making this change:
1) I removed battery and battery holder to get easier access to all 6 screws that need removing.
2) Removing bolts from fuse box allowed enough movement to make a difference, it's only 3 bolts. Removing it would have helped a lot but I couldn't see how to detach all the wires.
3) Removing the retaining clip was slightly tricky as you need to wiggle the clip AND lift the plug. The same was needed when re-fitting as it will not go back on without lifting and wiggle the plug.
4) Useful to use a flexible electric screwdriver driver bit as access to the screws can be tricky.

All in all a big recommendation for a DIY job. The dealership confirmed they will only replace the entire unit (including pump) which will cost £1,000+
Good luck to all and Happy New Year.

Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
8AA2YM:

I cant get your PDF to load. I'm very interested to see it though. Any chance you could post it here or email it to me?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
8AA2YM said:
Good job. I posted this DIY on the web a long time ago.

Chris... I took pics etc of this if you'd like to post to the Mx Sticky.

Also have DIY for Heater Bypass Valve for your use here.

Johnny
Thanks ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im not trying to jack this thread, but it seemed like an appropriate place.

1: I've noticed my car runs better when the ABS controller works. The boost gauge seems to go higher, can anyone confirm this?

2: I found a writeup on repairing the ABS controller myself (I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron), but I can't figure out how to get the little bugger open without damaging the case. Has anyone been able to open this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Your ECU is desperate because of the missing speed signal when the abs controler is bad - so its possible there is a reduced power available :cheesy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
ABS Module

I seem to have an ABS module problem on my 1999 Saab 9-5 but I am not sure what to do. I am getting the three (3) ABS module failure symptoms such as 'ABS warning light, Brake warning light, and speedo failure. IS this a DIY problem? Can i obtain a module from ebay or a salvage yard and have it work fine? I was told that there are different modules on each of the rear wheels. Is this true?

·
Registered
69 Posts
These are hard to find in salvage. Just follow the posted DIY and you'll be fine.

You can drive without it for a while.

Don1 said:
I seem to have an ABS module problem on my 1999 Saab 9-5 but I am not sure what to do. I am getting the three (3) ABS module failure symptoms such as 'ABS warning light, Brake warning light, and speedo failure. IS this a DIY problem? Can i obtain a module from ebay or a salvage yard and have it work fine? I was told that there are different modules on each of the rear wheels. Is this true?

·
Registered
74 Posts
8AA2YM said:
These are hard to find in salvage. Just follow the posted DIY and you'll be fine.

You can drive without it for a while.
I got a 03 9-5 with ESP, do you think i need to get the module with same part # or just get any 9-5 with ESP will be fine? and after you get it installed, do you need tech 2 to restart the computer? or just it is just plug and play?

ryo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just take out your module, send it away to be repaired, then put it back in.

Ryo said:
I got a 03 9-5 with ESP, do you think i need to get the module with same part # or just get any 9-5 with ESP will be fine? and after you get it installed, do you need tech 2 to restart the computer? or just it is just plug and play?

ryo

·
Registered
74 Posts
8AA2YM said:
Just take out your module, send it away to be repaired, then put it back in.
i did, but somehow they told me that mine can't be fixed!!!! and i bought a used one from carparts and it is still not working and i returned it and tried the other one and still the same................now i am thinking what I should do, and i am driving without abs

ryo

·
Registered
74 Posts
8AA2YM said:
Did you talk to the guys at the Canadian place that fixes them?
i went to the dealer and pull out the code at 145dollars cost!!
and they told me they need another couple hrs to figuar out what is the problem!? I feel something wrong from them and I just paid that and came back.

here is the thread from me. please read and let me know what you feel.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132667

ryo

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the same issue right after I got my Aero, drove it a few days and bam all the brake-type lights came (ABS,TCS,Parking). It was still under warranty at the time and I had a dealer pull the codes and ended up replacing both rear wheel speed sensors. That was 2years and over 60k miles ago and it has happened a few times (maybe three) in the last 4-5months or so and has been entirely intermittent.

My solution has just been pull over when possible, shut off the car for a min and then start 'er back up. The lights haven't come back on after that. Really sounds like an electrical bit that wears out over time. My only gripe with it is the fact that I think at the time it feels like the TCS and ABS are def kicked off. At inopportune times that's just no good. I dunno if this switches off the ABS or if it's just a warning, the manual says ABS is always on under braking IIRC.

Good to know I can check on the state of the ABS module, I'll try and check that out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts